Vit & min
* Act as a catalysts which prompt the 3 major nutrients –carbohydrates , protein,fats
* “Metabolismos”-to change or alter
* Chemical process of transforming foods into complex tissue elements and of transforming complex body substance into simpler ones, along with the production of heat energy
* Is the totality of the chemical processes in the body in which substance are change in other substance to sustain life.
* I the force of power that enables the body to do its work
* Chemical energy locked in foodstuffs by reason of the chemical process.
ENERGY FROM FOODS
Kcal/ kilogram calorie
* Unit of energy
* Standard unit in measuring heat
* Unit of measurement for the energy that the body gets from food.
* Buy product when carb, pro and fats oxidize from the body
* 1kcal-heat energy required to raise the temp of 1 kg of H20 1 degree centigrade.
Fuel factor of carb=4 calories/gram
* Device used to measure total calorie/energy content available from food.
* Measured in kilocalories
* 1000calories=1 kcal
* Measure of energy in metric system
* 1cal/kcal= 4.184joule/kilojoules
Fyi: 1 cup of milk
8 gram protein=32kcal
10 gms fats=90 kcal
COMPONENTS OF ENERGY EXPENDITURE
* Measure of the energy needed by the body at rest for all its internal chemical activities.
* Aprx. 1 cal/kg of body weight
* Minimum amt of the body needed to
* Cellular metabolism
* Glandular act
* Maintenance ng temp
BMR- rate of basal metabolism in person at
given time and place
condition necessary for BMR test
1. Must be in fasting 12... [continues]
Cite This Essay
(2011, 07). Physiologic Value of Food. StudyMode.com. Retrieved 07, 2011, from http://www.studymode.com/essays/Physiologic-Value-Of-Food-730899.html
"Physiologic Value of Food" StudyMode.com. 07 2011. 2011. 07 2011 <http://www.studymode.com/essays/Physiologic-Value-Of-Food-730899.html>.
- MLA 7
"Physiologic Value of Food." StudyMode.com. StudyMode.com, 07 2011. Web. 07 2011. <http://www.studymode.com/essays/Physiologic-Value-Of-Food-730899.html>.
"Physiologic Value of Food." StudyMode.com. 07, 2011. Accessed 07, 2011. http://www.studymode.com/essays/Physiologic-Value-Of-Food-730899.html.