1. A substance that dissolves in water to release hydrogen (H+) ions is a(n) _______.
2. Which of the following is not a regulatory mechanism for acid/base balance in the body?
a. the kidneys
b. the respiratory system
c. protein buffers
d. the digestive system
3. The maximum pH measured during hyperventilation was _______.
4. The tidal volume (TV) when breathing at rest was about _____ ml. The TV with hyperventilation was about _____ ml.
5. Describe the normal ranges for pH and PCO2 in the blood.
6. Describe what happened to the pH and the carbon dioxide in the blood with hyperventilation.
7. Explain how returning to normal breathing after hyperventilation differed from hyperventilation without returning to normal breathing.
8. Describe some possible causes of respiratory alkalosis.
ACTIVITY 2: Rebreathing
9. In cases of acidosis, the pH of the blood is
a. Between 7.4 and 7.55
b. Between 7.35 and 7.45
c. Less than 7.35
d. Greater than 7.55
10. In this lab simulation, the minimum pH during rebreathing was _______.
11. If a person is “treated” in a hospital emergency department by breathing in and out of a paper sack, this is a classic example of _________ to lower the blood pH.
12. Hypoventilation results in
b. numbness around the lips. Answer: _________
c. an accumulation of CO2 in the blood.
d. a good treatment for respiratory acidosis.
13. Describe what happened to the pH and the PCO2 levels in the blood during rebreathing.
14. Describe several possible causes of respiratory acidosis.
15. Explain how the renal system can compensate for respiratory acidosis.
ACTIVITY 3: Renal Responses to Respiratory Acidosis and Respiratory Alkalosis
16. When carbon dioxide (CO2) mixes with water in the blood stream, carbonic acid is formed. This carbonic acid can then dissociate into the _______ ion and the _______ ion.
17. When more CO2 is produced by the body... [continues]
Cite This Essay
(2011, 10). Physiolab 9.0 Exercise 10. StudyMode.com. Retrieved 10, 2011, from http://www.studymode.com/essays/Physiolab-9-0-Exercise-10-806578.html
"Physiolab 9.0 Exercise 10" StudyMode.com. 10 2011. 2011. 10 2011 <http://www.studymode.com/essays/Physiolab-9-0-Exercise-10-806578.html>.
- MLA 7
"Physiolab 9.0 Exercise 10." StudyMode.com. StudyMode.com, 10 2011. Web. 10 2011. <http://www.studymode.com/essays/Physiolab-9-0-Exercise-10-806578.html>.
"Physiolab 9.0 Exercise 10." StudyMode.com. 10, 2011. Accessed 10, 2011. http://www.studymode.com/essays/Physiolab-9-0-Exercise-10-806578.html.