Assignment Due: Week 4
Student instructions: Follow the step-by-step instructions for this exercise found in your text and record your answers in the spaces below. Submit this completed document by the assignment due date found in the Syllabus.
Please make sure that your answers are typed in RED.
Please type your Name and Student ID Number here: Charles Coon 4048223
Eliciting a Nerve Impulse
Activity 1: Electrical Stimulation
1. Do you see any kind of response on the oscilloscope screen with 1.0 volts? No a flat line was observed
2. What was the threshold voltage, or the voltage at which you first saw an action potential? 3.0 volts
3. How do the tracings generated with higher voltages compare to the one that was generated at the threshold voltage? The tracings traveled in the same fashion but had a higher peak of the action potential as you increased the threshold voltage
4. What reason can you give for the change? The increase in voltage creates the nerve to depolarize.
5. Record this maximal voltage here: 6.0 volts
Activity 2: Mechanical Stimulation
1. When the glass rod is touching the nerve, what do you see on the oscilloscope screen? The nerve’s action potential to stimuli
2. How does this tracing compare with the other tracings you have generated? The tracings follow the same pattern as the threshold voltage tracing
Activity 3: Thermal Stimulation
1. What happens when the heated rod touches the nerve? The action potential is generated
2. How does this trace compare to the trace that was generated with the unheated glass bar? Be specific! The tracings followed the same patterns but when the heated bar touched the nerve the action potential increased causing the nerve to start depolarization
3. What explanation can you provide for this? The heated bar caused a stronger nerve impulse with a higher action potential.
Activity 4:... [continues]
Cite This Essay
(2011, 03). Physioex 8.0 Lab Exercise #3. StudyMode.com. Retrieved 03, 2011, from http://www.studymode.com/essays/Physioex-8-0-Lab-Exercise-3-611255.html
"Physioex 8.0 Lab Exercise #3" StudyMode.com. 03 2011. 2011. 03 2011 <http://www.studymode.com/essays/Physioex-8-0-Lab-Exercise-3-611255.html>.
- MLA 7
"Physioex 8.0 Lab Exercise #3." StudyMode.com. StudyMode.com, 03 2011. Web. 03 2011. <http://www.studymode.com/essays/Physioex-8-0-Lab-Exercise-3-611255.html>.
"Physioex 8.0 Lab Exercise #3." StudyMode.com. 03, 2011. Accessed 03, 2011. http://www.studymode.com/essays/Physioex-8-0-Lab-Exercise-3-611255.html.