* Known by many names in song and story.
* Before Magellan’s arrival, Chinese traders called it “Mai” meaning “Land of Barbarians”. Pearl of the Orient Seas
* The names which modern writers give.
* The most romantic name of our country.
* One of the beautiful land in the Far East.
* Northernmost point: Y’Ami Isle 78 miles from Taiwan
* Southernmost tip: Salvage Isle 34 miles from Borneo
* An archipelago of 7, 107 islands.
2, 773 islands have names.
* Total area of 115, 707 square miles (299, 681 square kilometers) Luzon
* Largest island - 40, 814 square miles.
* Second largest island - 36, 906 square miles
* Third largest island - 5, 124 square miles.
Theories regarding the origin of the Philippines:
1. Part of a lost continent
2. Volcanic origin/Pacific or Magnetic Theory
3. Land Bridge or Asiatic Theory
Philippines role in the world:
1. Serves as the bridge between cultures of the East and West. 2. Lies at the crossroads of international air and sea routes. 3. Looms as a bastion of democracy in an area where dictators and communism holds way over Asian nations. 4. It is citadel of Christianity between the largely Christian West and largely non-Christian East. Two distinct season:
1. Dry – March to June
2. Wet - July to October
The intervening period from November to December is neither too dry nor too wet for comfort. Rainfall is abundant throughout the island. Heavy rains are brought by typhoons from either Pacific Ocean or China Sea. Sunshine is also abundant all year round that’s why all kinds of flowers bloom every day. Language
Philippines has between 120 and 75 languages depending on the method of classification. 1939 – Pres. Manuel L. Quezon renamed Tagalog Language as Wikang Pambansa but mandated the development of a national language to be known as Filipino. There are 13 Indigenous Languages with at...