Maria leezah F. Gadon
Mr. Cyrus Maravilla
PHILLIPINE HISTORY AND CULTURE
THE MUNICIPALITY OF ROXAS
Before the current political administration in this municipality, Roxas is considered as the TRADE CENTER OF THE SOUTH! But the wanton disregard of its peoples' demand for sustainable development peg's it to remain a 4th class municipality despite of its temendous capability to GO FORWARD! Roxas lies on the southern part of the Province of Oriental Mindoro. It is located on geographical coordinates latitude 12-35-30.00 N and Lontitude 121-30-45.00 E. it is bounded on the north by Municipality of Bongabong on the east Tablas Srait, on the South by the Municipality of Mansalay and on the West by portions of Mansalay and Bongabong.
One hundred forty eight ( 148 ) kilometers south of Calapan lies the small but promising town of Roxas. The name was taken from the late President Manuel A. Roxas in whose honor the proposal for the barrio's separation from its mother town, Mansalay, was first acknowledged.
The present town was once a small settlement along the Tikling River where early settlers and immigrants from Panay and Batangas provinces set ashore. Tikling was then a sitio of Mansalay- a barrio of Bulalacao. The place was earlier called " palasan" meaning rattan palms, which used to grow abundantly along the shore of the river. " Palasans" later became paclasan and the setllement became the site of the first government of Roxas.
Through Executive Order No. 181. President Elpidio Quirino, in a proclamation dated October 15, 1948 declared Paclasan as seperate town from Mansalay. The order, however, took effect on November 15,1948. The name paclasan was changed to Roxas and Roxas was born as a town. Andres Torrefiel, Sr. had been appointed as the first Mayor of the town.
Roxas has 20 barangays – two urban, three urbanizing and...
Please join StudyMode to read the full document