Homework No. 1
1. I was expecting an innovative name and logo from your team.
2. A very good introduction of the industry. Note ii. The second edition of the textbook (Barney and Hesterly) is copyrighted in 2008.
3. Industry rivalry: use a note to indicate the source when you applied the number (e.g., 25% of the market presence) to support your analysis.
4. Threat of substitutes: Generic brands are more likely to be considered as “competitive” products. Yes, CAM and alternative medicine are substitutes. However, there are many ways to prevent sickness (e.g., a healthy lifestyle). I think there is no “perfect” substitute to treat disease and sickness in most cases.
5. A good discussion on how the five competitive forces affect profitability of the pharmaceutical industry.
6. Please follow the proper format for using endnotes. The textbook provides good examples for you to follow.
7. Overall, it’s a very good 5-force analysis on the Pharmaceutical industry. You are able to apply textbook theories and additional information to support your analysis.
8. Grade A (90)
March 3, 2008
A Five Forces Analysis on the Pharmaceutical Industry
February 27, 2008
The Pharmaceutical Industry
Over the past few decades, the pharmaceutical industry has been struck by many challenges, such as new state drug substitution laws and federal legislation. There have also been opportunities, such as revolutionary developments in information technology and the emergence of market institutions that include health maintenance organizations and pharmacy benefit managers[i]. The pharmaceutical industry includes all companies that develop drugs and then patent and distribute the drugs to consumers[ii]. This paper focuses on how Michael Porter’s five external environmental forces – barriers to entry, bargaining power of buyers... [continues]
Cite This Essay
(2011, 01). Pharma Five Forces. StudyMode.com. Retrieved 01, 2011, from http://www.studymode.com/essays/Pharma-Five-Forces-548127.html
"Pharma Five Forces" StudyMode.com. 01 2011. 01 2011 <http://www.studymode.com/essays/Pharma-Five-Forces-548127.html>.
"Pharma Five Forces." StudyMode.com. 01, 2011. Accessed 01, 2011. http://www.studymode.com/essays/Pharma-Five-Forces-548127.html.