• High profile dog show competitors are currently the largest and most successful market for Show Circuit. Due to the success of this product in the private sector, Zenith Pet Foods, Inc. is attempting to break into the mainstream markets.
As this was originally marketed solely toward show dogs and their owners, Zenith would need to ensure the product:
A) Is appealing to mass market customers while maintaining the high level of quality expected by show dog competitors?
B) Solidify the idea that dogs are part of the family and should be given food on par with what one would feed the rest of the family.
C) To convince the general population that this particular brand of dog food has a large number of benefits for dogs in general, and not just show dogs.
• The dog food industry is a 16.04 billion dollar business, with 259.92 million spent annually on veterinarians, medication, toys, clothing, accessories, and furniture in Boston alone.
• The total population of U.S. households with at least one dog is 65 million and still growing, and many owners consider themselves “Mom and Dad” to their animals (75%). In American culture, dog are considered family members, loyal friends, and trusted companions.
• Five companies dominate the majority dog food market. Nestle Purina PetCare, MasterFoods USA, and Del Monte Foods are most popular in supermarket. Dry dog food has a 63 percent market share in supermarket channels, while semi moist has 2 percent.
• Frozen dog food has not been introduced to the supermarket and mass merchandiser channels in this area.
• Dr. Billinghurst’s BARF and Nature's Variety are the two major direct competitors in the frozen raw dog food industry. However, they have not yet been introduced into the supermarket.
o Advantages of the competing brands: Dr. Billinghurst's BARF and Nature's Variety have complete line of products including patties, frozen bones, and supplements. They... [continues]
Cite This Essay
(2011, 11). Pet Foods. StudyMode.com. Retrieved 11, 2011, from http://www.studymode.com/essays/Pet-Foods-828066.html
"Pet Foods" StudyMode.com. 11 2011. 11 2011 <http://www.studymode.com/essays/Pet-Foods-828066.html>.
"Pet Foods." StudyMode.com. 11, 2011. Accessed 11, 2011. http://www.studymode.com/essays/Pet-Foods-828066.html.