Performance appraisal refers to all those procedures that are used to evaluate the personality, the performance and the potential of its group members. Performance appraisal is a systematic way of reviewing and assessing the performance of an employee during a given period of time and planning for his future.
Performance planning and Evaluation
Performance planning: setting standards and exceptions
Employee job task behavior
Rewards and job changes
Fig: Performance appraisal activity of HR
* To review the performance of the employees over a given period of time.
* To judge the gap between the actual and desired performance
* To help the management in exercising organizational control.
* To reduce the grievances of the employees
* To provide feedback to the employees regarding their past performance.
Contextual model of expatriate performance management
1. Linkage to organizational strategy
2. Setting individual performance goals
3. Identifying variables impacting performance
4. Appraising the performance
5. Providing regular feedback on progress towards these goals
6. Providing opportunities for improvement
7. Linking results with rewards
1. Trait based
2. Behavior based
3. Result based
4. Balanced score card
Issues in managing performance in the global context
1. Culture and performance management
2. Rewarding performance
4. Virtual teams
5. Subsidiary performers
Different types of employee appraisal systems
1. Rating by superiors
2. Feedback on appraisal information
3. Field review technique
4. Rating by self and the peer group
5. 360... [continues]
Cite This Essay
(2010, 10). Performance Appraisal. StudyMode.com. Retrieved 10, 2010, from http://www.studymode.com/essays/Performance-Appraisal-445937.html
"Performance Appraisal" StudyMode.com. 10 2010. 10 2010 <http://www.studymode.com/essays/Performance-Appraisal-445937.html>.
"Performance Appraisal." StudyMode.com. 10, 2010. Accessed 10, 2010. http://www.studymode.com/essays/Performance-Appraisal-445937.html.