A performance appraisal (PA), performance review, performance evaluation, (career) development discussion, or employee appraisal is a method by which the job performance of an employee is evaluated. Performance appraisals are a part of development and consist of regular reviews of employee performance within organizations
Performance appraisal is the process of measuring quantitatively and qualitatively an employees present and past performance against the background of his work environment and about his future potential for an organization . The evaluation of the performance of each employee is done by his immediate superior or some other person trained in the technique of merit rating . Various rating techniques are employed for comparing individual employees in a group in team of personal qualities or deficiencies and the requirement of their respective jobs.
According to Edward Flippo performance appraisal is the systematic periodic and an impartial rating of an employee’s excellence in matters pertaining to his present job and his potential for a better job.
According to Dale Yoder performance appraisal includes all formal procedures used to evaluate personalities and contribution and potential of group member in a working organization . It is a continues process to secure information necessary for making correct and objective decisions on employees.
FEATURE OF PERFORMANCE APPRAISAL
* Customizable company performance appraisal form available online with ratings, objectives, performance against objectives, areas for improvement, and a development plan.
* Online capability to record employee performance through performance notes. * Capability to import previous years performance ratings. * Support for annual or anniversary based reviews.
* Support for 360 degree reviews.
* Performance appraisal is a systematic process consisting of a number of steps to be followed for evaluating an employees strength and weakness. * It is a systematic and objective description of an employee’s strength and weakness in term of the job. * The appraisal is an on going and continuous process where the evaluation are arranged periodically according to a definite plan. It is not a one shot deal. * The performance appraisal seeks to secure information necessary for the making objectives and correct decision on employees. * Performance appraisal may be formal or information . The formal system is more fair and objective since it is carried out in a systematic manner using printed appraisal forms.
BENEFITS AND USES OF PERFORMANCE APPRAISAL
* An effective system of performance appraisal helps the supervisor to evaluate the performance of his employees systematically and periodically , it helps in the placement of the employees on the jobs for which they are best suited . * The results of performance appraisal may be used by the supervisor in constructive guiding the employees in the effective performance of their jobs. * Performance appraisal provide the management an objective basis for discussing salary increases and special increment of the staff. * Performance appraisal can be used for transfer and promotion of employees, if the performance of an employee is better than others, he can be recommended for promotion , but if he is not doing well he may transferred to some other job for which he is best suited * Appraisal can be used to analyze the training and development needs and evaluating the effectiveness of existing training programmers . weakness of the employees revealed through performance appraisal can be removed through further training * Performance appraisal facilitates human resource planning, career planning and succession planning * When achievements are recognized and rewarded on the basis of objectives performance measures , there is improvement in work environment...