Case Study: Penang Mutiara
BACKGROUD OF THE STUDY
Mutiara Beach Resort Penang heralds a new standard for Asian resort hotels. Located on a prime beachfront at Teluk Bahang, otherwise known as the 'glowing bay', it nestles in 7.3 hectares (18 acres) of landscaped tropical greenery. All 438 of its spacious rooms enjoy sea and garden views. Here in this paradise of comfort and luxury, it has been claimed that nothing is unusual.
The name Mutiara means 'pearl' and is also a term of endearment in the Malay language. A perfect description for an extraordinary resort with a lively Malaysian personality.
Penang Mutiara is one the luxurious hotels in South-East Asia. Owned by Pernas-OUE of Malaysia and managed by Singapore Mandarin International Hotels.Penang Mutiara wants to give to its customer the quality of service. And it also wants to give everything what its guests’ wants and needs.
Penang Mutiara’s objectives are to give fast response to every customer request (SPEED), to keep its promise to be of service to their guests (DEPENDABILITY), and to be flexible to every guest request. The hotel believes that it is the impeccable customer service they are giving to their guests which gives them competitive advantage.
The hotel is very careful never to compromise the quality of its service in order to cut costs. Good service means that guest s return again and again. The more guests, the higher utilization of rooms and restaurants, so in the end, it’s the quality of our service which keeps the hotel’s volume high and costs low.
STATEMENT OF THE PROBLEM
How to improve the operations and sustain the competitiveness of Penang Mutiara as a leading hotel in Southeast Asia.
• To be able to identify new operation strategies for Penang Mutiara to continuously give its guests the quality hotel service. • To be able to identify areas in operations wherein improvements can be done. • To be able to describe how quality, speed, dependability, flexibility and cost impact on the hotel’s external customers and its benefits internally.
ASSUMPTIONS OF THE STUDY
• Implement and develop long term strategies to be able to compete with the other premier hotel. • Develop the internal strategies to ensure the quality of service and low costs of operations • Build a long term relationship to its new and old customers.
AREAS OF CONSIDERATION
• Training and development of staff
• Planning & Staffing
• Marketing & Service innovations
• Operations and management improvement
• Welfare and motivation to employees
Strengths • Luxury hotel (top-of-the-market-hotel)
• High-quality service
• Multi-skilled employees
• Very relaxing atmosphere
• High utilization of rooms
• Stylish and top class facilities
• Experienced management
• Small number of employees
• High-cost (especially on food and beverages)
• Lack of long term plans
• Weak marketing strategy
• Service Innovation s( use of internet)
• Maximum utilization of resources
• Partnership with other firms such as airlines
• Emergence of new hotel
• Tourism related issues
• High expectation of customers
• Globalization of markets
ANALYSIS ON HOW SPEED, DEPENDABILITY, FLEXIBILITY AND QUALITY AFFECT THE SERVICE TO CUSTOMERS AND ITS INTERNAL BENEFITS
Speed means do thing fast. Speed means fast response to requirements of external customers or new conditions, speedy decision making and speedy movement of materials and information inside the operation. It’s benefit are:
• Speed reduces inventories - reducing i inventories mean increasing the utilization of rooms and restaurant, that fast cleaning and preparing the available rooms and...
Please join StudyMode to read the full document