How To Carve a Pumpkin
Overview: Jack-o'-lanterns are a traditional welcome for trick-or-treaters, an invitation to stop by for a Halloween surprise. It's also something you can make with the leftovers you can't use for Halloween cooking.
Materials: Candles, Knives, Felt-tip Pens, Pumpkins, Candleholders, Pumpkin-carving sets(Optional)
Instructions: 1. Select a fresh pumpkin in a shape that pleases you. Some people like their pumpkins low and round, while others like them tall and oval-shaped.
2. Draw a circle on top of the pumpkin in preparation for making an opening large enough for your hand to reach through.
3. Cut through the stem end of the pumpkin along your outline with a sharp knife or carving tool. Use a back and forth slicing motion to cut through the thick skin.
4. Remove the stem end, which will act as a cap. Make sure you scrape off any seeds or pulp.
5. Use a large spoon to scoop out the seeds and pulp from inside the pumpkin. Hold the spoon by its bowl to get extra leverage while scooping.
6. Draw a pattern for the face on the clean pumpkin with a felt-tip pen. Be sure to make the eyes, nose and mouth large enough; you'll have a hard time cutting out tiny features when you're using a big knife blade to saw through tough skin.
7. Follow your pattern as you cut all the way through the pumpkin.
8. Push the cut out features gently from the inside of the pumpkin.
9. Put a candle inside the pumpkin to create a glow.
Please join StudyMode to read the full document