“News gathering of journalists and evidence gathering of the police has much in common.”
· Facts are assembled
· Witnesses are interviewed
· Pictures are taken.
Covering Crime requires
· awareness of all that is going on around you.
· Gather all facts. “The more facts, the better the story”
· Know your patch. “Work on your contacts so that you are ready for the next big crime story “
· Keep your hands clean. “Do not accept gifts or favours.”
· Do not sensationalize. “Do not exaggerate. Report factually.”
· Dealing with the victims. “These people have been under great stress.”
· Dealing with the sources. “Protect the sources.”
· Dealing with suspects. “It is not the job of the news media to prosecute or defend.“
· Has to work closely to the police, local authority and judicial officers.
· Has to meet deadlines constantly.
You must have facts to support every sentence you write
It has become a common practice to hear and read about crimes taking place in the locality, state or in the country. There is no doubt that today the crime rate has reached up to an alarming situation. The journalists who report of these crime beats and police beats are called Crime Reporters. They cover every aspect of the crime from robberies to murders, theft, fraud, kidnapping, sexual assaults and many other nuisances that are taking place in our civilized society.
People also take a keen interest in crime reporting now, they like to read and watch news which reports the crimes in the society or worldwide. This has given rise to crime journalism. The crime reporters are also given incentives to report any criminal activities. Today, a large number of crime reporters are working in this field with various news channels and newspapers. The cut throat competition among news channels has made their job even... [continues]
Cite This Essay
(2010, 12). Parakida. StudyMode.com. Retrieved 12, 2010, from http://www.studymode.com/essays/Parakida-521884.html
"Parakida" StudyMode.com. 12 2010. 12 2010 <http://www.studymode.com/essays/Parakida-521884.html>.
"Parakida." StudyMode.com. 12, 2010. Accessed 12, 2010. http://www.studymode.com/essays/Parakida-521884.html.