Library Information Sheet | Citing Resources APA Style (pdf)
While specific rules apply for each type of reference, general guidelines are applicable when preparing citations. Be sure to consult an APA style manual for assistance. General reference tips:
1. Works cited in text must match works cited in the accompanying reference list.
2. Each item generally includes author, year of publication, title, and publishing information.
3. Reference lists are arranged alphabetically by author last name.
4. Author information is presented last name first, followed by a comma and first initial of the first name, followed by a period.
5. Publication date, or copyright, is presented within parentheses.
6. Titles of non-periodicals and periodicals are italicized.
7. First words of titles in periodicals and non-periodicals are capitalized, as are proper nouns within the title.
8. Periodical title and volume number are italicized and presented in full using upper and lower case letters.
9. Publication information includes city, and in some instances, state. (Use U.S. postal abbreviations.)
10. Internet resource citations should reference specifics within the document (as opposed to the entire web site) and include a working address.
Publication manual of the American Psychological Association (5th ed.) (2001). Washington,
DC: American Psychological Association.
APA Style examples
For specific citation rules and examples, consult the Publication Manual of the American Psychological Association (APA style handbook), APAStyle.org, or a reference librarian.
1. Nonperiodical - book
Glantz, D. M., & House, J. (1995). When titans clashed: How the red army stopped Hitler. Lawrence, KS: University Press of Kansas.
Zucker, R. (2001). Democratic distributive justice. NY: Cambridge University Press.
2. Book, no author or editor
Publication manual of the American Psychological Association (5th ed.).... [continues]
Cite This Essay
(2006, 11). Outsourcing. StudyMode.com. Retrieved 11, 2006, from http://www.studymode.com/essays/Outsourcing-99107.html
"Outsourcing" StudyMode.com. 11 2006. 11 2006 <http://www.studymode.com/essays/Outsourcing-99107.html>.
"Outsourcing." StudyMode.com. 11, 2006. Accessed 11, 2006. http://www.studymode.com/essays/Outsourcing-99107.html.