Research Paper Assignment: Outline
I. The areas of practice, reasons of owning slaves and status of slavery varied greatly throughout the renaissance, imperial and contemporary periods. II. Areas most known to practice slavery.
1. Europe: Italy, Spain
2. America: American Colonies, South North America
3. Asia: Iran, Iraq, Pakistan (Middle East)
III. Status of slavery
4. Just coming back, mostly accepted in Italy. Mostly Muslim slaves 5. “The Italian renaissance was also the period that Europeans rediscovered slavery.” (Liana Cheney, http://faculty.uml.edu) E. Imperial
6. Encouraged near the beginning, discouraged and outlawed during the end F. Contemporary
7. Discouraged and outlawed in all countries, still done today in the blackmarket IV. Why slaves were needed
8. Italy was growing rapidly, a lack of farmers to feed everyone H. Imperial
9. Cotton gin and demand for cotton in America and Britain 10. “Seventy-five percent of the cotton that supplied Britain’s cotton mills came from the American South, and the labor that produced that cotton came from slaves.” (US Slave, http://usslave.blogspot.com) I. Contemporary
11. Cheaper labor= cheaper products, sex slaves: culture that accepts women as objects, poverty sends people into desperation V. As you can see, slavery differed in many ways throughout the years in history. The causes vary due to different needs and inventions in different areas. Generally, the areas that most practiced slavery varied based on changing laws, opinions and demand at the time. Also, the status of slavery seemed to vary due to the citizen’s experiences, areas that most practiced slavery and what people did with their slaves. History...