• To develop your problem solving, critical thinking, and analytical skills through the use of mini-cases and ambiguous problem scenarios.
• To begin to learn and understand the technical material an accountant (or sophisticated user of accounting information) requires.
• To begin to develop your professional judgement.
• To be able to use accounting information effectively for decision making.
• To understand the limitations of accounting information and to be able to critically evaluate the usefulness of a set of information for a particular decision.
• To develop and solidify basic bookkeeping skills.
5. Course Design
Class sessions are intended to introduce and discuss the important concepts and issues of the course. To obtain benefit from the classroom presentations, it is important to come to class having read the assigned material. Discussion is an integral part of the classroom process and students are expected to participate and be ready to participate if called on. Engagement in class is essential
Tutorials are an integral part of the course. Problem material is assigned for each tutorial session and you should attempt the problems in advance of the tutorial. The tutorials are where you will get practice on the technical aspects of accounting. Developing technical knowledge is important at this stage.
Written assignments are designed to provide practice applying knowledge, concepts, and techniques in the course and to develop problem solving skills, critical thinking, and professional judgment. These will give you an indication of your understanding of the material and help you prepare for exams.
6. Outline of Topics in the Course
Note: No classes will be held on September 9. Tutorials will begin on Monday, September 13.
Lecture # Time Topics
Lecture 1 September 14/16 Procedural Matters and the Accounting Environment
Lecture 2 September 21/23 Fundamental... [continues]
Cite This Essay
(2010, 09). Outline Courses. StudyMode.com. Retrieved 09, 2010, from http://www.studymode.com/essays/Outline-Courses-406726.html
"Outline Courses" StudyMode.com. 09 2010. 09 2010 <http://www.studymode.com/essays/Outline-Courses-406726.html>.
"Outline Courses." StudyMode.com. 09, 2010. Accessed 09, 2010. http://www.studymode.com/essays/Outline-Courses-406726.html.