General Purpose: To inform
Specific Purpose: To explain to listeners how they can operate a bicycle safety.
Central Idea: You can keep yourself safe on a bicycle if you follow a few safety rules: wear protective clothing, obey the rules of the road, and be aware of your surroundings.
I. Teaching anyone to ride a bike is a most memorable experience, but having them obey the rules and regulations when riding is one of peoples first exposures to obeying the law. Cycling is a great way to exercise as well as a convenient mode of transportation. But before you start riding you should take a few minutes to consider some important safety precautions.
II. According to the Bicycle Helmet Safety Institute, bicycle related crashes kill about 900 people a year and injure over half a million. Most bicycle deaths or accidents occur between 3-9 pm, and most often occur during the summer months. We can prevent these numbers by: wearing protective equipment, obeying the rules of the road, and being aware of your surroundings.
(Transition: Let's talk about the first rule)
I. Wear protective equipment.
A. Wear a helmet
1. Studies have shown that wearing a helmet can reduce your chances of head injury by 85%
2. Select a helmet that fits comfortably.
3. Wear a helmet to set examples to others if necessary.
4. Helmets are required in many places so you should check with the police in your area.
B. Wear visible clothes
1. Wear bright colors such as white and yellow. Never wear black.
2. If you have the means get reflective straps or hats. Don't wear loose articles of clothing.
C. Never carry anything in your hands.
D. If you can get reflectors to put on the back , front, and side of your bike so cars can better see you at night
(Transition: You have on the right protective gear. Now What?)
II. Obeying the rules of the road.
A. Riding a bike is much the same as driving a car
1. Obey traffic signals... [continues]
Cite This Essay
(2002, 04). Outline for Bicycle Safety. StudyMode.com. Retrieved 04, 2002, from http://www.studymode.com/essays/Outline-Bicycle-Safety-39977.html
"Outline for Bicycle Safety" StudyMode.com. 04 2002. 04 2002 <http://www.studymode.com/essays/Outline-Bicycle-Safety-39977.html>.
"Outline for Bicycle Safety." StudyMode.com. 04, 2002. Accessed 04, 2002. http://www.studymode.com/essays/Outline-Bicycle-Safety-39977.html.