Multiple Choice (30 points, 3 points each)
1.What is the first step in the Rational Decision-Making Model? a.developing alternatives
b.identifying the problem
c.identifying the decision criteria
d.weighing the decision criteria
e.collecting relevant data
2. Which of the following is not true of charismatic leaders? a.They have a vision and the ability to articulate the vision. b.They have behavior that is unconventional.
c.They are willing to take high personal risk.
d.They exhibit behaviors that are consistent with their followers’ behaviors. e.all of the above are true
3. What sort of groups are defined by the organization’s structure? a. informal
4.Most people assume that a police officer should behave in a lawful manner, and not show any favoritism to any particular group, and do their best to uphold the law. What term is used for this kind of belief? a.a norm
b.a norm identity
c.a role expectation
d.a role perception
e.a norm violation
5. What term is used for the tendency for individuals to spend less effort when working collectively? a.groupthink
b.the rule of diminishing returns
6.Leaders achieve goals, and power is _____.
a.defined by leaders’ hopes and aspirations
b.usually used by poor leaders
c.a means of achieving goals
d.a goal in and of itself
e.a strong influence on leaders’ goals
7.One reacts to _____ power out of fear of the negative ramifications that might result if one fails to comply. a.legitimate
8. Which of the following is not an assumption of the rational decision-making model? a.The decision maker is constrained by time and costs. b.The decision criteria are constant and the weights assigned to them are stable over time. c.The decision maker can identify all the relevant criteria and can list all the viable alternatives. d.The decision maker is aware of all the possible consequences of each alternative. e.The decision maker is assumed to have complete information regarding the decision situation.
9. The example of labor-management negotiations over wages exemplifies _____ bargaining. a.integrative
10. Your _____ determines the lowest value acceptable to you for a negotiated agreement. a.BATNA
b.margin of error
5 POINTS: Describe one concept/theory from your OB course that you find most useful/interesting. How does it apply to your work/life? Be sure to include examples and definitions. CASE-related questions
Starbucks and the “Bean Stock” –courtesy of George & Jones, Organizational Behavior, third edition, 2000
Howard Schultz, CEO of Starbucks, bought the company in 1987 and transformed a local Seattle, Washington chain of six coffee stores into a national, publicly owned company with over 25,000 employees and over 1,500 stores. Starbucks’ sales and profit growth have been phenomenal and the company has changed the way that Americans think about coffee. Starbucks’ stores range from coffee carts in crowded city streets to intimate coffee bars to full-sized restaurants that sell espressos and cappuccinos as well as coffee by the pound, coffee-making equipment, and food items. Starbucks was recently ranked in the top 75 global brands in a study conducted by the consulting firm, Interbrand.
Throughout Starbucks’ rapid growth, Schultz has emphasized the importance of rewarding employees...