TQM & OD
(With McDonald’s Pakistan as a Real Life Example)
In the name of Allah, the most merciful & beneficial, I am very thankful to Almighty Allah, who strengthened me to complete this report.
I acknowledge my sincere gratitude to my subject teacher , without her kind guidance, support & encouragement; I may not be able to complete this report.
I hope that any short comings, errors & mistakes are purely accidental and would be pardoned.
TABLE OF CONTENTS
S.NO.| CONTENTS| PAGE NOs.|
A)| Executive summary| 5|
B)| INTRODUCTION TO TQM & OD * OD * TQM| 6 – 8| C)| McDONALD: A Real Life Example of TQM & OD| 9|
1.| McDonald’s Pakistan History| 10|
2.| McDonald’s Pakistan| 11|
3.| Products of McDonald’s Pakistan| 11|
4.| OD Strategies at McDonald’s Pakistan| 12-15|
5.| TQM at McDonald’s Pakistan| 16-18|
6.| Conclusion| 19|
7.| References| 19|
Organization development (OD) is a deliberately planned effort to increase an organization's relevance and viability.
Total Quality Management enables an organization to have improved products, high and competitive product environment and customer satisfaction.
This report elaborates that how Total Quality Management take part in Organization Development and what are its benefits.
For this purpose I selected McDonalds as a real life example to understand the importance of TQM in OD.
ORGANIZATIONAL DEVELOPMENT (OD)
Theory and practice of planned, systematic change in the attitudes, beliefs, and values of the employees through creation and reinforcement of long-term training programs. OD is action oriented. It starts with a careful organization-wide analysis of the current situation and of the future requirements, and employs techniques of behavioral sciences such as behavior modeling, sensitivity training and transactional analysis. Its objective is to enable the organization in adopting-better to the fast-changing external environment of new markets, regulations and technologies.
OD CORE VALUES
1. Providing opportunities for people to function as human beings rather than as resources in the productive process. 2. Providing opportunities for each organization member, as well as for the organization itself, to develop to his full potential. 3. Seeking to increase the effectiveness of the organization in terms of all of its goals. 4. Attempting to create an environment in which it is possible to find exciting and challenging work. 5. Providing opportunities for people in organizations to influence the way in which they relate to work, the organization, and the environment. 6. Treating each human being as a person with a complex set of needs, all of which are important in his work and in his life.
TOTAL QUALITY MANAGEMENT (TQM)
* Total Quality Management is a management approach that originated in the 1950's and has steadily become more popular since the early 1980's.
* Total Quality is a description of the culture, attitude and organization of a company that strives to provide customers with products and services that satisfy their needs.
ELEMENTS OF TQM:
A successful organization must concentrate on the following key elements of TQM: * Integrity & Ethics
ADVANTAGES OF TOTAL QUALITY MANAGEMENT:
1. Improves reputation- faults and problems are spotted and sorted quicker (zero defects) 2. Higher employee morale- workers motivated by extra responsibility, team work and involvement in decisions of TQM 3. Lower costs - Decrease waste as fewer defective products and no need for separate 4. Quality Control inspectors
DISADVANTAGES OF TOTAL QUALITY MANAGEMENT:
1. Initial introduction costs- training workers and disrupting current production whilst...