Culture and Values
By: Cicely Leufroy
Professor Nic Huf
NRS – 451V
• “Organizational culture includes an organization's
expectations, experiences, philosophy, and values that
hold it together, and is expressed in its self-image, inner
workings, interactions with the outside world, and future
expectations. It is based on shared attitudes, beliefs,
customs, and written and unwritten rules that have been
developed over time and are considered
• “Important and lasting beliefs or ideals shared by the members of a culture about what is good or bad and
desirable or undesirable. Values have major influence on a
person's behavior and attitude and serve as broad
guidelines in all situations”(BusinessDictionary.com,
Characteristics of Organizational
Culture and Values
Innovation and risk taking
Attention to detail
Values are derived from beliefs and
personality. There are 5 distinct
characteristics of values:
Values as an image schema
Values exist as a verbal and written
Self is a linguistic process (Bristol, S. 2002)
• Innovation and Risk taking- Employees are encourages to be creative and take risk •
all the while promoting change for the better.
Attention to detail- Exhibiting precision and analyzing things that may need to be changed
Outcome orientation-Focusing on the outcome
People orientation- Taking into consideration the afects that change may have on the people
Team orientation- Utilizing team work to make the dream work Aggressiveness- Having a go get them attitude instead of being so laid back Stability- Making sure things stay steady in the midst of change to keep things running smoothly
Mission of Northside Hospital
• We are committed to the health and wellness of our community. As such, we dedicate ourselves to being a center of excellence in providing high quality healthcare.
• We pledge compassionate support, personal guidance and uncompromising standards to our patients in their individual journeys toward health of body and mind.
• To ensure innovative and unsurpassed care for our patients, we are dedicated to maintaining our position as regional leaders in select medical specialties. • And to enhance the wellness of our community, we commit ourselves to providing a diverse array of educational and outreach programs.
Values of Northside hospital
• EXCELLENCE – A primary value in all matters of healthcare, our excellence is born of individual commitment to the •
highest personal potential. For if we reach our individual potentials, we can achieve excellence as an institution. COMPASSION – We believe that each person is unique - patient, family or caregiver - in health, in sickness, in life, in death. Each is to receive our respect, our care, our appreciation, and our concern .. our empathy. COMMUNITY – We value its well-being and are committed to its progress. In addition to our services, we provide an important corporate contribution, expressed through involvement with the people, organizations and jurisdictions that vitalize, energize and support our region.
SERVICE – We recognize a personalized expression of caring which transcends physical aspects of health. We realize that this depth of service to others can be the source of our own growth and wellbeing, while maintaining a financially successful organization.
TEAMWORK – Our success stems from teamwork. We recognize the equal value and individual contribution of each member of our team. We believe in mutual regard for each other and for our patients. We encourage teamwork by working together respectfully, communicating openly and supporting the...
Please join StudyMode to read the full document