Olympic Games Ap World Dbq

Only available on StudyMode
  • Download(s) : 197
  • Published : April 22, 2013
Open Document
Text Preview
Will someone check and grade my essay for me please!

The Olympic Games
There are many factors that shape the modern Olympic movement from 1892 to 2002. The original reason was so people of many people of different races, religions, or genders could come together and compete against each other in various competitions. The Olympics first started in 776 B.C.E. but ended 393 C.E. they later started back up in 1892, but it was a bit different than before. Today, many of the factors that shaped the Olympics reflect what has changed and what has taken place since the last games. Some examples would have to do with women, the economy, and world wars and other region battles.

From 1892 to 2002, things kept changing around for women. In document 2 you could see that from the year 1908, only 2% of the Olympic athletes are women, the other 98% are all male. Those 2% of women were also wearing full clothing; the only skin that was allowed to be shown was their face and hands. From document 8 in 1992, 29% of the athletes were women, this time most of them were able to show off their bodies and not wear as much clothing. The big difference in the percentage of women competing in the Olympics and the amount of clothing they wear shows a good reflection in the transformation of women’s rights in the Olympics.

Another reflection of the Olympics is the state of the economy. If you read document 5, it talks about a major from Japan wanted the 1964 games to be held in his country. Ryutaro Azuma wanted the games to be held in Tokyo because he believed that it would help the economy and the trades in Japan get stronger. It worked well and in document 7 you can see that Japan is one of the countries, as well as the United States, that gets selected to be one of nine of the sponsors for the 1988 Olympic Games. To be able to become a sponsor, your country has to be able to avail itself of an opportunity to display its industrial and economic power to a worldwide televised...
tracking img