In order to better appreciate the novella, Of Mice and Men written by John Steinbeck, you are going to conduct a Webquest project in which you examine the time period and setting in which the author lived and wrote the novella. By closely examining the time period and setting, you will gain a better understanding of the social, cultural, and economic factors that influenced the author and are reflected in the story. You will gain an appreciation of what it was like to be a migrant worker in the Salinas Valley of California during the 1930’s and Great Depression. Steinbeck used Of Mice and Men as a vehicle to express his social conscience and observations regarding the social and cultural issues he witnessed during this difficult era in America. In the novella, Steinbeck paints a picture of two friends struggling against an indifferent society. The novella focuses on topics of poverty and dreams, friendship and loneliness, despair and hope. In addition to gaining a better understanding of the context of the novel, the Webquest will also enable you to understand how many of the societal, cultural, and economic factors that Steinbeck addressed in Of Mice and Men resonate in America today. [pic]
What are the social, cultural, and economic issues that influenced John Steinbeck’s writing of this novella?
English 2 Of Mice & Men Unit Objectives:
1. Research and create a poster or PowerPoint of topics related to the historical context of the novel.
2. Gain an appreciation of how social, cultural, and economic factors can influence an author and are reflected in a literary work.
3. Create a Works Cited page using the MLA proper format.
For this project, students will be working in small groups no larger than four. Each group’s research will provide information that effectively answers the Task and Questions. As a member of the group, each student will explore Web pages from sites that pertain to Of Mice and Men or issues/topics relevant to the novella. Each student in the group is to be assigned a specific task: geographer, sociologist, psychiatrist, or biographer.
Each student will:
1. Conduct and assemble research from the Internet and other sources to answer the questions in his/her section.
2. Find and print visuals relevant to his/her research to be used on group’s poster/PowerPoint.
3. Help his/her group assemble the poster/PowerPoint. Posters must have printed text and visuals from all four categories. The group’s final product is to include answers to the assigned questions and a visual representation that complements and relates to the topics.
4. Submit a Works Cited page of sources used in his/her part of the project, stapled to the top, right corner of the back of the poster or added as a final slide to the PowerPoint
Rubrics for the poster and Works Cited page will be distributed in class. The project is worth 50 points (40 pts—poster/PowerPoint; 10 pts—Works Cited). There will be a separate presentation portion of the project.
Phase 1 - Background Information
Phase One – Focus and Objective
John Steinbeck was influenced by a number of geographical, societal, cultural, and economic issues in the writing of Of Mice and Men. Your task is to explore some of these issues.
Phase 2 - Roles
Phase Two – Investigations from a Different Perspective
1. Individuals from your Webquest group will be assigned one of the specific roles listed below. In this role you are to direct your research to gain information that will answer the specific questions for your section and obtain specific visuals that address your topic to be included on the group’s poster.
2. Use the links to find information that answers the questions and find visuals to use on your presentation. Take notes or if you find large sections of info you want to copy, copy sections and paste them into a Word...