Name: The XRS Laser Group
1. John conducted himself in such a manner that others might of thought he was some "big hot shot" manager. 2. John displayed little or no leadership qualities, the resistance among others in the group were believed to be, because of John.
1. Kate was concerned about the resistance with the project team and how the team was not being as productive as they could have been. II. Causes
1. John's leadership style was the reason the project team failed. 2. John gave the impression that he was the "big man", the jokes he told and thought were humorous, employees felt were inappropriate and this caused failure. 3. John acted in a frivolously disrespectful manner showing very little respect for the feelings and the efforts of his team members. III. Systems affected
1. Structural: The structure was affected to the extent that John was no longer apart of the team. 2. Psychosocial: The most effected system. Members of the group were no longer motivated about the project because John made them feel, belittled, less visible and insulted. Once this happened the project was a sure failure. 3. Technical: The dysfunctional leadership and inappropriate behavior of John may have been the reason for the use of old technology. 4. Goals: Kate's statement clearly states the group was not able to achieve its goals or deadlines for this project. IV. Alternatives
1. Remove John
2. Dissolve the group, tasks out other group members, giving them the opportunity to function properly in a new environment. 3. Choose an effective leader, someone who has a proven track record of excellent leadership function. V. Recommendations
The recommendations should be that the new leader should be briefed about the problems, should have a grasp of the issues and should have a proven record of leadership skills. The new leader...