Nowadays English has a special and predominant role in the communicative sphere of the world. It has also a special identity in the field of education. A language is a medium of communication and interacting verbally in our day-to day life situation in family and society. But in India English is a foreign language. It is different from mother tongue. The teaching of English is highly desirable for a English teacher. Before starting his teaching, it requires for the teacher to fix up his aims and objectives. It makes him efficient.
Objectives Teaching English:
(A) The objective of teaching English has two main aspects:
(i) Language aspect: Words, sentences, pronunciation, spelling and grammar. (ii) Literature aspect: Words, sentences, expressing ideas, feelings and experiences.
(B) The English language teaching has four objectives to develop four skills: (i) Reading, (ii) Writing, (iii) Speaking and (iv) Listening.
(C) The English teaching also has two objectives:
(I) Skill objectives include:
• To develop the skill of speaking,
• To develop the skill of reading,
• To develop the skill of writing,
• To develop the skill of listening,
• To enable the students for the use of grammar correctly, • To enable the students to analyze the element of language and establish the appropriate relationship among linguistic components.
(II) Cognitive objectives include:
• To acquire knowledge,
• To diagnose the weakness of speaking and writing English, • To compare and illustrate linguistic components,
• To classify the elements of English language,
• To understand the meaning of prose, poetry, story and drama by reading. In order to teach English correctly and properly English teacher must know the aims and objectives of teaching English.
Please join StudyMode to read the full document