Nutrition Case Studies

Only available on StudyMode
  • Download(s) : 329
  • Published : June 27, 2005
Open Document
Text Preview
Please read the following case studies and answer the questions which follow them. The questions may have several right answers; I am looking to see if you have put some thought into the assignment and that you give accurate information in your responses. Please email your answers to me by June 24. If you have any questions about this assignment, please email me before June 24.

Case Study 1

Randy, age 36, and his whole family love football. They love to play football and to watch football. Randy played football in college, but now that he has a job at a law firm working many hours, he just plays every once in a while on a Saturday.

In college he was in great shape and could eat anything he wanted. Now he just doesn't make it to the gym that often and has lost muscle and has been gaining some weight. He is about 6 feet and weighs 250.

Randy and his family also love "meat and potatoes" type food. On the weekend they often barbeque ribs and burgers that are washed down with several beers. During the week, Randy gets coffee and a donut on the way to work and goes to lunch with clients at various restaurants. His wife usually cooks dinner—just like his mom used to.

He knows that he has been gaining some weight but he still feels pretty good. A few years ago his cousin was diagnosed with colorectal cancer. Recently Randy's father was also diagnosed with colorectal cancer. This makes Randy a little nervous and he wonders if there is anything that he can do to prevent or lower his chances of getting cancer as well.

1. Do you think that Randy is at risk for colorectal cancer? Why or why not?
Randy is at rish for colorectal cancer. While it estimates that the contribution of the environment in people with colon cancer is 65%, the other 35% is genetic factors, and Randy's cousin, and father have been diagnosed. 2. What dietary advice would you give Randy?

Most types of cancers are related to factors such as high fat and alcohol intakes, Randy displays both of these attributes. His meat and potatoes type food is high in fat, as well as the donut he has every day on his way to work. The lunches out everyday at restaurant s I'm sure are not the most healthy choices he could be making as well. I suggest that Randy cuts back on the beers, starts exercising like the did in college, and starts taking in more fruits, and vegtables.

Case Study 2

Debbie just went to the health fair that her work was sponsoring. She is 44 and works as an administrative assistant. At the health fair they checked her weight, blood pressure, and blood sugar. She is 5 foot 4 inches and at the health fair her weight was 145. Her blood pressure was 120/85 and her blood sugar was 130ml/dl.

Debbie is surprised that her blood sugar was high because she doesn't really eat sweets; she prefers savory treats like chips. Debbie loves to cook and usually eats 3 large meals a day, but rarely eats between meals except for drinking Dr. Pepper. Debbie and her husband do like to go on evening walks around their neighborhood and do so a few nights a week.

The people at the health fair recommended that she visit her doctor and have a complete physical.

1. What do you think the doctor will tell Debbie her diagnosis is?
It is possible that she is a diatbetic. Her sugar is extremely high, so I would run more tests.
2. What other tests do you think the doctor will request?
It is a possibility with her blood sugar elevated the way it is, that she could be diabetic. If her bloodsugar was a fasting one, she could be becoming diabetic. 3. What dietary advice do you think the doctor will recommend?

With a 120/80 blood pressure Debbie exhibits signs of prehypertension. She should watch her salt intake, she said instead of sweets she prefers savory treats, which could be getting at her blood pressure, and could eventaully make it even higher....
tracking img