Nutrition and Health Worksheet
Use Ch. 1 of Contemporary Nutrition, Ch. 2 of Visualizing Nutrition, supplemental course materials, the University Library, the Internet, or other resources to answer the following questions. Your response to each question should be 75 to 100 words.
1. What is nutrition? Why is nutrition essential to our daily lives?| Wardlaw, & Smith (2011) states that Nutrition involves a combination of food intake, in which the body uses food and substances to growth, repair, and maintain a healthy body. A healthy nutritional diet is a personal lifestyle choice. The body ingests, and absorbs various foods that help to create a healthy digestive system. Nutrition is the key component in developing and maintaining a healthy lifestyle. Reference Wardlaw, G.M., & Smith, A.M. (2011) Contemporary Nutrition (8th ed) New York Mc GrawGrosvenor, M.B., & Smolin, L.A. (2012). Visualizing Nutrition: Everyday Choices (2nd ed). Hoboken, NJ: Wiley|
2. What is the connection between nutrition and health?| Being in good health is based on having a good diet, and making sure the body is receiving the right amount of nutrients. Food is the main source that fuels the body and gives it all the vitamins and minerals needed in order to maintain good health. Living a healthy lifestyle is a choice. When people choose to have a good diet it will increase their longevity. Most diseases are self induced, and can be prevented. For example, Obesity and Diabetes type 2 can be prevented by being cautious of what goes in the mouth. |
3. What are the six classes of nutrients? What are essential nutrients? What are the sources of nutrients? What do nutrients do?| The six classes of nutrients are as follows: 1. Carbohydrates 2. Lipids (Oils and Fats) 3. Proteins 4. Vitamins 5. Minerals 6. Water Essential nutrients are what helps keep the body functioning properly. If the body did not have the essential nutrients needed, the body would deteriorate in health, and possibly even cause death. The source of nutrients the body needs in order to function healthy in clued two things: 1) macronutrients that include proteins, oils and fats, and carbohydrates, and 2) micronutrients, which include vitamins and minerals that are essential to the body’s development. |
4. How do vitamins and minerals work?|
Vitamins supplements are hard or soft capsules that contain organic ingredients that are plant or animal based. Mineral supplements are inorganic substances that are soil based. Both vitamins and minerals are very essential to the body’s good health. Vitamins and mineral supplements may be purchased over the counter, however, some people suffer from some sort of deficiency and require a prescription either way consuming a high dosage of any vitamins and minerals is a risk factor and can be fatal. Each vitamins and minerals work in different ways. For example , vitamin B’s are essential to the body’s enzymes, and vitamin form hormones that are essential to the body’s reproduction system and it also helps to maintain a healthy working metabolism. |
5. What does it mean to eat a balanced diet? Why is food choice important for good nutrition?| Having a well balanced diet means that the body is consuming healthy portions of the five basic food groups that are on the food pyramid. Having a well balanced diet just does not mean in taking a variety of food groups, it also means eating in moderations. The importance of making good food choices contributes to the body’s organs to function properly. Obesity is the number killer in today’s generation, and can be prevented by simply making good food choices. Furthermore, when people make good food choices it makes them feel good. By making good food choices the body has more energy, and when people are alert and have more energy the more productive...