Foundations of Nursing Practice Including
Theories, concepts, principles and processes basic to the practice of nursing.
II. Terminal Competencies
1. Utilizes the nursing process in the care of individuals, families and communities.
2. Communicates effectively with patients/clients, families as well as other members of the health team in various settings.
3. Demonstrates leadership and management skills to ensure safe and quality nursing care.
4. Relates effectively with others in work situations.
5. Utilizes concepts, theories, principles in the care of clients.
6. Ensures a well-organized, accurate recording and reporting system.
7. Participates in research activities and utilizes research findings to improve nursing practice.
8. Observes ethico-moral values and legal responsibilities in nursing care.
9. Assumes responsibility for personal and professional growth.
III. Content Outline
1. Professional Nursing
A. Historical perspectives in nursing
B. Nursing as a profession
C. Theories in nursing
D. Health care delivery system
2. Health and Illness Behavior
A. Man as a biopsycho-socio - cultural- spiritual being
B. Factors influencing health and illness
C. Risk factors
D. Adaptation to stress and anxiety
E. Life span, cycle and development
3. Interactive Processes
A. Nurse client relationship
B. Teaching learning process
E. Therapeutic use of self
4. Safety, Comfort and Hygiene
B. Management of pain
D. Mobility and immobility
E. Skin integrity
F. Sensory alteration
G. Substance abuse
5. Basic Physiological Needs
C. Rest and sleep
D. Fluid and electrolyte balance
E. Urinary elimination
F. Bowel elimination
G. Activity and exercise
6. Basic Psychosocial Needs
A. Safety and security
Cite This Essay
(2010, 07). Nursing Course Syllabus. StudyMode.com. Retrieved 07, 2010, from http://www.studymode.com/essays/Nursing-Course-Syllabus-358541.html
"Nursing Course Syllabus" StudyMode.com. 07 2010. 07 2010 <http://www.studymode.com/essays/Nursing-Course-Syllabus-358541.html>.
"Nursing Course Syllabus." StudyMode.com. 07, 2010. Accessed 07, 2010. http://www.studymode.com/essays/Nursing-Course-Syllabus-358541.html.