a reading comprehension skill that involves picking out, from a piece of text, the particular piece or pieces of information to achieve a given purpose such as answering a question in a test.
(1) to get the main idea of a reading selection;
(2) to develop a bird's-eyeview of the selection;
(3) to prepare for an examination;
(4) to write a particular data/important information. You will find it useful to make notes as a record of what you have read;
(5) to take not of the background of a story/selection;
(6) to prepare for a report or presentation, and
(7) to facilitate understanding of a difficult issue.
(1) to clear about your focus in taking down notes. It is important- before you begin to make your notes, that your purpose in making them is clear and what you want to get from them;
(2) Underline or highlight important information;
(3) You can write notes including the page number of the reading material in a separate notebook for the future reference.
Guide to reading and noting
1. Make a note of the source. You will need this information to complete your footnotes/endnotes and references. Making an accurate record at this point will save time later.
2. Critically review your reading matter. This is a vital initial step to help you get an overview of the text and decide whether it is relevant. It should only take a few minutes. Look at the contents, introduction, titles and headings, the author, date of publication, and index. If there are introductions, abstracts, or chapter summaries, read these first. Briefly examine any lists of key points, dates or events. This technique will save you time and allow you to quickly discard any texts that are not relevant. If you'd like more information about how to decide if texts are relevant to your purpose, visit the evaluating information section of infosuss.
3. Question. After you have gained a superficial understanding of the text, note down any... [continues]
Cite This Essay
(2013, 02). Noting Details. StudyMode.com. Retrieved 02, 2013, from http://www.studymode.com/essays/Noting-Details-1407180.html
"Noting Details" StudyMode.com. 02 2013. 2013. 02 2013 <http://www.studymode.com/essays/Noting-Details-1407180.html>.
- MLA 7
"Noting Details." StudyMode.com. StudyMode.com, 02 2013. Web. 02 2013. <http://www.studymode.com/essays/Noting-Details-1407180.html>.
"Noting Details." StudyMode.com. 02, 2013. Accessed 02, 2013. http://www.studymode.com/essays/Noting-Details-1407180.html.