1. List the major categories of tests, giving at least one example for each category.
a. Mental Ability Tests
1. Cognitive functions, such as memory, spatial visualization, and creative thinking.
i. Individually Administered
2. Wechsler Adult Intelligence Scale, WAIS
3. Stanford-Binet Intelligence Scale
* These tests are administered to individual examinees, one-on-one, by trained psychologists to provide an index of the overall mental ability of individuals*
ii. Group Administered
4. Otis-Lennon School Ability Test (OLSAT)
* This test is administered to groups of students, usually in classroom settings, to gauge mental ability to succeed in typical school subjects.*
*This test predicts success in college*
iii. Other Abilities
5. There are many other types of mental ability tests—nearly an infinite variety—including tests of memory, quantitative reasoning, creative thinking, vocabulary, and spatial ability. Sometimes these mental functions are included in the tests of general mental ability, but sometimes they are tested separately.
b. Achievement Tests
6. These tests attempt to assess a person’s level of knowledge or skill in a particular domain
7. consist of a series of tests in such areas as reading, mathematics, language, science, and social studies
a. Stanford Achievement Test,the Metropolitan Achievement Tests, and the Iowa Tests of Basic Skills.
v. Single Subject
8. tests that cover only one area, such as psychology, French, or geometry.
b. Graduate Record Examinations (GRE): Subject Test in Psychology.
vi. Certification, Licensing
9. tests used for purposes of certification and licensing in such fields as nursing, teaching, physical therapy, airline piloting, and so on.... [continues]
Cite This Essay
(2011, 07). Notes. StudyMode.com. Retrieved 07, 2011, from http://www.studymode.com/essays/Notes-734350.html
"Notes" StudyMode.com. 07 2011. 07 2011 <http://www.studymode.com/essays/Notes-734350.html>.
"Notes." StudyMode.com. 07, 2011. Accessed 07, 2011. http://www.studymode.com/essays/Notes-734350.html.