NARROWED TOPIC: The negative effects of natural disasters in Jamaica
PURPOSE: To educate people about the negative impacts natural disasters have on Jamaica
THESIS: Natural Disasters have several negative impacts on Jamaica.
I. Natural disasters decrease the country’s economic productivity.
* Agricultural industry is affected when crops for export are destroyed
* People’s standard of living is reduced due to loss of jobs.
* Tourism industry is affected by the destruction of natural resources and recreational areas.
* Personal assets and infrastructure are destroyed.
II. The rate at which diseases are spread increases whenever there has been a natural disaster.
* Due to the large amounts of unclean water normally accompanied with some natural disasters it is difficult to practice proper hygiene, thus disease causing germs are spread rapidly which are at times fatal.
* Chronic diseases such as hypertension and stress are reported to be at a higher rate after natural disasters.
* Diseases are not only spread rapidly among humans but plants such as the coconut tree as well which is affected by the (name of disease)
III. Essential services are also temporarily disrupted.
* Communication networks are most times not in service due to damage to broadcasting equipment.
* Necessary utilities such as light and water are not attainable to people in the country after a natural disaster
IV. Natural Disasters lead to an increase in the crime rate.
* There are dishonest persons who take natural disasters as opportunities to loot.
* The rate of auto theft increases whenever there is a natural disaster, mainly hurricane.
V. Jamaica is vulnerable to an array of hazards which have caused loss of many lives.
* In 2004 during hurricane Ivan 23 persons were reported dead due to impacts of the hurricane.
* When the necessary precautions are not taken during a... [continues]
Cite This Essay
(2011, 02). None. StudyMode.com. Retrieved 02, 2011, from http://www.studymode.com/essays/None-573142.html
"None" StudyMode.com. 02 2011. 02 2011 <http://www.studymode.com/essays/None-573142.html>.
"None." StudyMode.com. 02, 2011. Accessed 02, 2011. http://www.studymode.com/essays/None-573142.html.