“The novel is the first impartial and bold account of the life of the Tagalogs. The Filipinos will find in it the history of the last 10 years”
-Jose Rizal on Noli Me Tangere
Opposition to the Novel:
• The special committee of the faculty of the University of Sto. Tomas condemned the novel as heretical, impious and scandalous at the request of Archbishop Pedro Payo.
• The committee and the archbishop deemed it harmful to the Spanish government here in the Philippines.
• 28 December 1887: Fray Salvador Fort (Cura ng Tondo and head of the Permanent Commission of Sensorship); prohibited the circulation of the book.
• OPPOSITION AND NEGATIVE PUBLICITY LEAD TO CURIOSITY OF THE PUBLIC. = more people read the book = increase awareness
• Caiingat Cayo (Beware): Jose Rodriguez; pamphlet claiming that reading the Noli will cause the reader to commit the mortal sin, heresy.
• Caiigat Cayo (be slippery as an eel): Marcelo H. Del Pilar (penname: Dolores Mangsat); counters Caiingat Cayo. Took on the same format as Caiingat.
THE PROPAGANDA MOVEMENT:
• Members of this movement are called propagandists or reformists.
o Recognition of the Philippine as a province of Spain
o Equal status for both Filipinos and Spaniards
o Philippine representation at the Spanish Court
o Secularization of the Philippine Parishes
o Recognition of Human Rights
NOLI ME TANGERE Published in Berlin (1887)
• bleak winter of 1886 was memorable in the life of rizal
o first, painful – hungry, sick and despondent in a strange city
o second – brought him great joy, after enduring so much sufferings, his first novel came of the press
• Noli Me Tangere came off the press in March, 1887
• Dr. Maximo Viola, his friend from Bulacan, arrived in Berlin at the height o9f his despondency and loaned him the needed funds to publish the novel.... [continues]
Cite This Essay
(2011, 09). Noli Me Tangere. StudyMode.com. Retrieved 09, 2011, from http://www.studymode.com/essays/Noli-Me-Tangere-782887.html
"Noli Me Tangere" StudyMode.com. 09 2011. 09 2011 <http://www.studymode.com/essays/Noli-Me-Tangere-782887.html>.
"Noli Me Tangere." StudyMode.com. 09, 2011. Accessed 09, 2011. http://www.studymode.com/essays/Noli-Me-Tangere-782887.html.