16 January 2012
- Under a pilot scheme, two or three frail elderly residents will be housed in a rental flat, and be given help in cleaning the place and even with cooking.
- China's state media hailed the results of the Taiwan presidential election as a double victory yesterday - not only for incumbent Ma Ying-jeou, but also for the growing recognition of the '1992 Consensus' on the island.
- Features to alleviate flooding woes should store water too, Vivian Balaskrishnan says
- The economy is projected to grow just 1 to 3 per cent this year. In fact, the slowdown has already hit the electronics sector, PM Lee said.
- CIVIL engineer Shirley Too and her husband were travelling to Rome from Singapore, but they ended up spending nine months in a deportation centre in Dubai.
- Standard & Poor's Ratings Services stripped triple-A ratings from France and Austria and downgraded seven others, including Spain, Italy and Portugal. It retained the triple-A rating on Europe's No. 1 economy, Germany. Once a country loses its triple-A, it is an uphill struggle to get it back. S&P stripped Canada of its triple-A foreign-currency rating in 1992; the country didn't win it back until 2002. Australia was out of S&P's top league for even longer, from 1986 to 2003.
- Google and Facebook are fighting back against censorship demands in India, saying they aren't legally responsible for monitoring their websites to remove content regulators deem objectionable.
- China's stockpile of foreign-exchange reserves shrank for the first time in over a decade.
- Last year, China's foreign trade grew 22.5 per cent to US$3.6 trillion, according to the General Administration of Customs.
- China expects foreign trade growth to slow to around 10 per cent this year, the lowest level since the financial crisis first hit in 2008.
- With the threat of tightening US sanctions possibly choking the flow of oil to China from Iran, one of its... [continues]
Cite This Essay
(2012, 02). News Updates. StudyMode.com. Retrieved 02, 2012, from http://www.studymode.com/essays/News-Updates-908586.html
"News Updates" StudyMode.com. 02 2012. 02 2012 <http://www.studymode.com/essays/News-Updates-908586.html>.
"News Updates." StudyMode.com. 02, 2012. Accessed 02, 2012. http://www.studymode.com/essays/News-Updates-908586.html.