• New York is officially called CITY OF NEW YORK.(Also called the big apple).
It is a state in the North-eastern region of the United States.
• Today the city has a population of over 8.5 million people and is the biggest city in US.
New York is known for its status as a financial, cultural, transportation and manufacturing centre.
• And the city has a large number of renowned museums, theatres, galleries, International companies and public institutions.
• New York is home to all international embassies to the United Nations and the organizations headquarters is also located there.
• Numerous colleges and universities are located here, including Colombia University, New York University and Rockefeller University, which are among the top 100 in the world.
• New York City comprises five urban districts: Bronx, Brooklyn, Manhattan, Queens and Staten Island.
• The borough's official name is “The Bronx”
• The Bronx is the northernmost of the five boroughs of New York City. Bronx is divided into several parts, East and West Bronx, South Bronx and City Island.
• The Bronx is known for many things: the hip-hop genre, the baseball team New York Yankees, The Yankee Stadium, Little Italy on Arthur Avenue, The Bronx zoo and Hollywood superstar Jennifer Lopez aka “Jenny from the Block.”
• Even though Bronx has a great deal of attractions, the Bronx is known for being particularly "anti-tourist"
BROOKLYN is the district with the greatest population.
MANHATTEN is the most densely populated district, and is the place to find most of the skyscrapers. New York’s financial Center and political Center are in Manhattan, along with most of the city’s tourist attractions.
• QUEENS is the district with the largest area, and is America's most multicultural county. Most of Queens is now a residential area for the middle class
• Staten Island is an island and the least populated of the five boroughs.... [continues]
Cite This Essay
(2011, 03). New York. StudyMode.com. Retrieved 03, 2011, from http://www.studymode.com/essays/New-York-641399.html
"New York" StudyMode.com. 03 2011. 03 2011 <http://www.studymode.com/essays/New-York-641399.html>.
"New York." StudyMode.com. 03, 2011. Accessed 03, 2011. http://www.studymode.com/essays/New-York-641399.html.