1. What is a brief definition of a "Computer Network"?
Computer Network: computers and other hardware connected by channels that let people sharing resources and info. 2. What are the four main benefits of using a network?
Networks allow you to work away from the office, eliminate “Sneakernet” (the act of physically carrying info from computer to computer), share information and share equipment. 3. What role does a server play on a network?
4. Why is it a good idea to connect a printer to a network?
5. What is the role of a network administrator?
A network administrator ensures the network runs smoothly and manages the network. 6. What is the difference between a LAN and a WAN?
7. What are some common WAN technologies?
8. What is a hub?
A hub is a device where all the network cables come together. 9. Define network interface card and explain what it does.
10. How may a LAN's nodes be connected?
11. What are the four main types of cables used in networks? The four main cables used in networks are “cables-coaxial”, “Unshielded Twisted Pair (UTP), “Shielded Twisted Pair (STP) and “fiber-optic”. 12. What is a peer-to-peer network?
A P2P network is one where people store their files on their own computers, and these files can be accessed from any other computers connected to this network. 13. List the most common operating systems for networks.
The most common operating systems for networks are LANtastic, Windows for Workgroups, Windows 95 and Windows 98. 14. What steps should a network administrator take to ensure adequate security regarding hacking, viruses, improper use etc.
A network administrator should make sure the network has a firewall which protects from unauthorized access. Secondly, he/she should ensure the network requires a username and...