The Literature Review
In this review I will address (1) the objectives of network security (2) perceptions about network security (3) network security vulnerabilities (4) categories and methods of attacks and (5) network security technologies.
The Objectives of Network Security
Kurose, J & Ross, K (2010) have identified the following properties for secure communication over an insecure medium.
1. Confidentiality. Any message sent should be understood by the sender and the intended receiver only.
2. End-point Authentication. When a sender and a receiver exchange messages they should know who really sent the messages.
3. Message Integrity. Any message sent should arrive intact at the intended receiver.
4. Operational Security. An organization’s network is well protected against both internal and external attacks.
Network Security Perceptions
A recent survey of 583 IT security personnel by Ponemon (2011) found that their organizations have experienced multiple successful security attacks in the past year, some costing in excess of US$500,000.00. These attacks originated from both external agents and internal employees. The key findings were:
• most of the security attacks came from off-site locations and their origin is often unknown
• abuse by employees is widespread
• employee mobile devices and laptops are the sources of very serious attacks
• attacks are becoming more frequent and are often quite costly
• the most serious consequences of these attacks were theft of information and business disruption
• the primary approach to security is preventing attacks, and
• the main security technologies implemented were firewalls/VPNs, secure routers and intrusion detection and prevention systems.
Network Security Vulnerabilities
Network attacks exploit vulnerabilities present in the network. Ciampa (2009) and Kaeo (2004) have... [continues]
Cite This Essay
(2012, 02). Network and Wireless Security. StudyMode.com. Retrieved 02, 2012, from http://www.studymode.com/essays/Network-And-Wireless-Security-923606.html
"Network and Wireless Security" StudyMode.com. 02 2012. 02 2012 <http://www.studymode.com/essays/Network-And-Wireless-Security-923606.html>.
"Network and Wireless Security." StudyMode.com. 02, 2012. Accessed 02, 2012. http://www.studymode.com/essays/Network-And-Wireless-Security-923606.html.