TOPICS| PAGE NO|
Cover page| i|
Checklist | ii|
Needs and wants of mobile| 3|
Comparison of the marketing mix | 4|
Conclusion and recommendation| 9|
Bibliography and References| |
This assignment covers the idea of the consumer’s needs and wants. Consumers make use of various products for satisfying their needs and wants. This assignment presents what is consumer/customer’s basic needs and wants in particular product which is explained theoretically with the help of particular example of one industry in this assignment. Here we have taken two alternative products from the same industry and compare their marketing mix. Here we have taken two business mobile phones named Nokia and Blackberry and how they address customer’s needs and wants and what is the difference between the market mix of these two business mobile phones. CATEGORY: CONSUMER DURABLE
PRODUCT: MOBILE PHONE
The Consumer Durables industry consists of durable goods and appliances for domestic use such as televisions, refrigerators, air conditioners and washing machines. Instruments such as cell phones and kitchen appliances like microwave ovens are also included in this category. The sector has been witnessing significant growth in recent years, helped by several drivers such as the emerging retail boom, real estate and housing demand, greater disposable income and an overall increase in the level of affluence of a significant section of the population. The industry is represented by major international and local players such as BPL, Videocon, Nokia, Blackberry, Sony Ericssion, Samsung, Titan, Whirlpool, etc. In last decade Indian mobile phone industry has witnessed a dramatic growth. Cheap mobile handsets, affordable airtime rates, low initial cost and affordable monthly rentals made it easy for anybody to go mobile. As per latest statistics India has around 140 million mobile subscribers. Mobile phone operators are using mainly two basic technologies in India, GSM and CDMA. GSM stands for Global System for Mobile Communications and it is the most widely used mobile technology in the world with 2 billion subscribers in 212 countries. Code division multiple access or CDMA is another mobile technology used in India.
Nokia is one of the most loved and fastest growing brands in the world. A leading player in mobile communications all over the world, NOKIA first started operations in the early 1980s. * Nokia is a Finland based company incorporated in 1967.
* Nokia started of as a pulp, rubber and cable manufacturing company by Knut Fredrik Idestam in 1865. * Finnish Rubber Works acquired Nokia Wood Mills telephone and Telegraph cables. * Nokia began developing the digital switch (Nokia DX 200) which became a success. * In 1970, Nokia started taking an active interested in the power and electronic business. * In 1987, consumer electronic became Nokia’s major business. * Between 1992 and 1996, the company exited from the rubber and cable business * August 1997 Nokia- GSM systems to 59 operators in 31 countries * Nokia offers a wide range of mobile devices with the experience in music, video and imaging. * Nokia entered in India in 1994.
* Nokia 2110- first ever GSM call.
* Operating office India- New Delhi, Mumbai, Kolkata, Bangalore, Hyderabad and Ahmedabad * Research and Development facility in Bangalore, Hyderabad and Mumbai * 1995- First mobile phone call made in India on a Nokia phone on a Nokia network * 1998- Saare Jahaan Se Acchha, first Indian ringtone in a Nokia 5110 * 2004- Saral Mobile Sandesh, Hindi SMS on a wide range of Nokia phones * 2004- First Wi-Fi Phone- Nokia Communicator (N9500)
* 2005- Local UI in additional local language
* 2006- Nokia manufacturing plant in Chennai
* 2007- First vernacular news portal
Nokia E Series Phones - Impressive...