NCFE Level 2 Certificate in Equality and Diversity
Unit 1: Exploring Equality and Diversity
You should use this file to complete your Assessment.
• The first thing you need to do is save a copy of this document, either onto your computer or a disk • Then work through your Assessment, remembering to save your work regularly • When you’ve finished, print out a copy to keep for reference • Then, go to www.vision2learn.com and send your completed Assessment to your tutor via your My Study area – make sure it is clearly marked with your name, the course title and the Unit and Assessment number.
Name: Sharon Esmerguzeli
1. What is meant by diversity?
Diversity means difference or varied. It acknowledges that people have similarities or things in common with each other, and also that there are unique differences between us. The ethos of diversity is recognising and valuing difference
2. Describe the community you live in. Highlight some of the variations you may observe in terms of: • Interests
• Personal, social and cultural identities.
The community in which I live is culturally diverse. There is a large Muslim community and Mosques which serve the community. Also there are Baptist and United Reform churches.
There are a number of parks which are filled with young families during warm summer days in particular. There is also a local youth football team which has been supported by the local community when its pitch was at risk from developers wanting to build a large supermarket on the site.
You can find a number of restaurants and takeaways, from family pubs with children’s play area’s to, Chinese, chip shops, pizza and halal restaurants and takeaways.
Every Christmas Santa’s sleigh visits courtesy of the local charity groups the scouts and guides.
A number of grandparents can be seen caring for grandchildren indicating a large number of working parents in the area. This could also be an indication of people living in extended families.
Though is no community centre as such, there are however a number of local centres offering coursing in improving English and maths, child care, martial arts. There further provide stay and play groups.
3. Explain how the variations in question 2 contribute to the diversity of the community.
A large working community means there is a varied skills based. It provides a variety shops and services, allowing access to hair care products and foods stuff from around the world.
There is further the opportunity to learn about other cultures, their values and beliefs, which widen your knowledge of the world. It further highlights the differences within families of the same or similar cultural dispelling a number of stereotypes that you may have or be aware of through the media for example.
Being able to access things that or specific to your own culture or religion within your community can make you feel more part of your community. It further lends to the opportunity to develop new skills which can further enhance you as an individual and also contribute to the further development of skills and opportunities within the community.
4. Give some examples to explain how diversity:
• Enhances your life
• Enhances the local community
• Enhances this country.
• My life has been enriched by friends from different cultural and religious backgrounds in terms of the importance of their family and community and how this has indeed enhanced their life and made for a stronger individual, family and therefore community. Learning about religious practices from an individual or families perspective has given me more respect for religions which I may have thought previously were restrictive and indeed valued men over women, highlighting differences in culture and religion and how the two can be blended into one. Diversity has introduced...
Please join StudyMode to read the full document