(August 15, 1928 - November 15, 1994)
Was born August 15, 1928 in Silay City, Negros Occidental, a grandson of the first governor of the province Don Leandro Locsin y de la Rama. He later studied at the De La Salle Brothers in 1935 before returning to Negros due to the Second World War. He returned to Manila to study Pre-Law, before shifting to pursue a Bachelor’s Degree in Music at the University of Santo Tomas. Although he was a talented pianist, he later shifted again to Architecture, just a year before graduating. He was married to Cecilia Yulo, to which he had two children, one of whom is also an architect.
Was Filipino architect, artist and interior designer, known for his use of concrete, floating volume and simplistic design in his various projects. An avid collector, he was fond of modern painting and Chinese Ceramics. He was proclaimed a National Artist of the Philippines for Architecture in 1990 by the late former President Corazon C. Aquino.
In his visit to the United States, he met some of his influences, Paul Rudolph and Eero Saarinen. It was then he realized to use concrete, which was relatively cheap in the Philippines and easy to form, for his buildings.
Leandro V. Locsin was the Philippines’ greatest modern architect. Locsin’s parents gave him the nickname “Lindy” after aviator Charles Lindbergh. His work at Expo 70 in Osaka would also evoke aspects of flight.
His peers have described him as the “Poet of Space” for the way he articulated space using straightforward geometry.
Please join StudyMode to read the full document