What must be done to prevent Dengue Fever?
There are various ways to prevent Dengue Fever:
* Ensure that there are no mosquito breeding grounds
* Discard containers that can hold water
* Ensure that water tanks, rainwater catchment containers are covered with lids * Ensure that flowerpots and water catchment containers are drained at least once a week * Ensure that roof gutters are constantly flowing
* Keep fish in fishponds to reduce mosquito larvae.
* Use bug spray to kill mosquitoes.
* Take steps to protect yourself to avoid mosquito bites like : * Ensuring that doors and window are constantly closed * Apply anti-mosquito cream on skin exposed to mosquitoes. * Wear brightly coloured clothing with long sleeves and pants while outdoors Use mosquito coils and electric mosquito repellent in enclosed areas.
Halt the disease
There is no specific treatment for dengue fever.
Although the Health Ministry is still testing out genetically-modified Aedes aegypti mosquitoes and a dengue vaccine to combat the spread of this disease, the best prevention methods still lie in your own hands. The best way to reduce mosquitoes is to clear away the places where the mosquito lays eggs, like containers that hold water inside and around the home. Aedes aegypti breeds primarily in man-made containers like earthenware jars, metal drums and water storage barrels, as well as flower pots and vases, discarded plastic food containers, used car tyres, and other items that collect rainwater, like pet and animal water containers. Use mosquito repellent sprays, and add appropriate insecticides, such as larvacide, to water containers to prevent mosquitoes from breeding. Additionally, make sure that your drains are always clean to ensure that they are not blocked, especially during the rainy season. If you notice fogging being done in your neighbourhood, you can be sure there has been a case of dengue among your neighbours....
Please join StudyMode to read the full document