GFL MINING SERVICES LIMITED (“GFL”)
Outline of University Bursary Scheme
A limited number of bursaries are awarded each year to selected candidates to study for a bachelor's degree at a South African university. The intention of the scheme is to provide the Gold Fields Limited Group with high-calibre graduates who wish to make their career in one of its companies.
ELIGIBILITY FOR CONSIDERATION
Candidates must be:
• South African citizens and under or turning the age of 21 during their first year of study (applicants for first year of undergraduate study) and under or turning (or have been under the age of, or turned) the age of 23 during their second year of study (applicants for second and subsequent years of undergraduate study) • studying or intending to study full-time towards a degree at a recognised South African university that is acceptable to GFL • able to provide proof of their academic results for grade 11 and progress in grade 12 or alternatively be in possession of a grade 12 exemption certificate with acceptable symbols or tertiary results • intending to study for a bachelor's degree full-time commencing in the year after the application is made • accepted by the university for the degree course as recorded on the bursary application form
In terms of the projected manpower requirements, bursaries will only currently be considered for the following degrees:
BSc Mining Engineering
BSc Mechanical Engineering
BSc Electrical Engineering
BSc Metallurgical Engineering
BSc Geology Honours *
BSc Chemical Engineering
* In the geology discipline, bursaries are not considered for undergraduate studies only.
1) Application forms are sent out between February and May of each year. Forms will be sent to those applicants intending to study or already studying in a field related to the Group's projected manpower requirements (see above).
The closing date for applications is 30 June. Late applications will not be considered.
2) Shortlisted candidates will be contacted in June and will be required to undergo psychometric testing as well as a panel interview. In addition, all candidates are required to undergo a medical examination, and be in possession of a valid Medical Certificate of Fitness for the appropriate category of work for the duration of their bursary and subsequent employment with GFL or its nominee.
3) After completion of the selection process, bursary awards are determined at the discretion of GFL Mining Services Limited. All awards are subject to the applicant gaining acceptance, or gaining promotion to the year of study applied for, for the course at the university and for the commencement year stipulated in their bursary agreement. Selected candidates will be notified in writing.
(5) Selected candidates will be required to sign a bursary agreement in acceptance of the award.
(6) The Bursar will be required to provide surety for the agreement.
The Bursar undertakes to work for GFL or its nominee for a year for each year (or part thereof) of studies for which GFL has made bursary payments, e.g. a 3-year bursary gives rise a 3-year obligation to serve GFL or its nominee.
BURSARS MAY NOT ACCEPT OTHER BURSARIES
Bursars receiving financial study assistance from another source must disclose this fact immediately on applying for a GFL bursary. The company's approval of such assistance is required prior to the award of a bursary (and approval is entirely at the company’s discretion). This condition does not prevent a Bursar from receiving assistance from parents or relatives out of purely private means.
VALUE OF BURSARY AWARDS
The value of the bursary is reviewed on an annual basis and is at the discretion of GFL. It normally covers (but does not exceed) the cost of the following:
Please join StudyMode to read the full document