* A simple example of Collective Effervescence is at a football match when the crowd celebrates a goal, as this is a group of people doing the same thing at the same time and it’s all spontaneous, so no-one knows its going to happen.
* A good example of this is at the end of the last football season, where Man City had to beat QPR to win the Premier league. They found themselves 2-1 down with 2 minutes left of the game and managed to pull it back to 2-2 on the 90th minute. Then in the 3rd minute out of 5 of added time, Man City managed to get a winner. No-one would have seen this coming. A finish to the premier league season like this will probably never happen again. The crowd’s reaction to the 3rd goal sums up Collective Effervescent, because as I said earlier, the goal was a spontaneous event and no-one was expecting it, and pretty much everyone didn’t expect it to happen! There were approximately 58,000 fans celebrating the goal collectively.
* Here is a short video clip which shows this goal, pay attention to the crowd, players, managers and staff to see their reaction when the goal is scored.
* Durkheim’s definition of sacred includes all things that a community collectively holds.
* Durkheim claims that sport functions as a social equivalent of religion.
* The collective awe could link to the fans who watch the sport
* The sacred space in which the teams play, is the stadium or sporting arena – sacred site, which people collectively worship (cheer on their team)
* The sacred symbols could include a clubs logo’s, clothing and hymns (national anthem) [continues]
Cite This Essay
(2013, 02). Mr Rhys Davies. StudyMode.com. Retrieved 02, 2013, from http://www.studymode.com/essays/Mr-Rhys-Davies-1428103.html
"Mr Rhys Davies" StudyMode.com. 02 2013. 2013. 02 2013 <http://www.studymode.com/essays/Mr-Rhys-Davies-1428103.html>.
- MLA 7
"Mr Rhys Davies." StudyMode.com. StudyMode.com, 02 2013. Web. 02 2013. <http://www.studymode.com/essays/Mr-Rhys-Davies-1428103.html>.
"Mr Rhys Davies." StudyMode.com. 02, 2013. Accessed 02, 2013. http://www.studymode.com/essays/Mr-Rhys-Davies-1428103.html.