• Reading Comprehension 4
Directions: Read the passage. Then answer the questions below.
Many people like to eat pizza, but not everyone knows how to make it. Making the perfect pizza can be complicated, but there are lots of ways for you to make a more basic version at home. When you make pizza, you must begin with the crust. The crust can be hard to make. If you want to make the crust yourself, you will have to make dough using flour, water, and yeast. You will have to knead the dough with your hands. If you do not have enough time to do this, you can use a prepared crust that you buy from the store. After you have chosen your crust, you must then add the sauce. Making your own sauce from scratch can take a long time. You have to buy tomatoes, peel them, and then cook them with spices. If this sounds like too much work, you can also purchase jarred sauce from the store. Many jarred sauces taste almost as good as the kind you make at home. Now that you have your crust and your sauce, you need to add the cheese. Cheese comes from milk, which comes from cows. Do you have a cow in your backyard? Do you know how to milk the cow? Do you know how to turn that milk into cheese? If not, you might want to buy cheese from the grocery store instead of making it yourself. When you have the crust, sauce, and cheese ready, you can add other toppings. Some people like to put meat on their pizza, while other people like to add vegetables. Some people even like to add pineapple! The best part of making a pizza at home is that you can customize it by adding your own favorite ingredients.
1) The author's main purpose in writing this passage is to A. B. C. D. describe the history of pizza teach a healthier way to make pizza outline steps to make a basic pizza at home provide tips about how to make your pizza especially delicious
2) As used in paragraph 1, which word means the opposite of complicated? A. B. C. D. difficult simple easy manageable
3) As used in paragraph 3, which is the best synonym for purchase? A. B. C. D. forget buy ask cook
© Copyright Read Theory LLC, 2012. All rights reserved.
4) In paragraph 3, the author writes, "Many jarred sauces taste almost as good as the kind you make at home." The purpose of this statement is to A. B. C. D. clarify a later statement provide an example clarify an earlier statement support the previous paragraph
5) In paragraph 4, the author asks a series of questions in order to A. B. C. D. support the idea that most people cannot make homemade cheese reinforce the idea that most people probably live on farms prove that store-bought cheese tastes better than homemade cheese emphasize the superiority of homemade cheese over store bought cheese
6) As used in paragraph 5, which is the best definition for customize? A. B. C. D. to make personal to prepare for more than one to eat while hot to desire
7) According to the author, which of the following ingredients do you need to have ready before you can add the toppings? I. crust II. sauce III. cheese A. B. C. D. I only I and II only II and III only I, II, and III
8) Which of the following words best describes how the author feels about making a pizza from scratch? A. B. C. D. helpful understanding enthusiastic negative
9) Which of the following conclusions would work best at the end of this passage. A. Although the crust, sauce, and toppings are all important ingredients in pizza, it is clear that the cheese is most important. Therefore, be sure your cheese is homemade. B. It can be understood that making your pizza from scratch should be avoided at all costs. Use store bought ingredients and save yourself a heap of trouble. C. As you can see, cooking a pizza can be fun, but it can also be very expensive. But, as you can see, the best things are worth paying for. D. Once you have prepared the crust, sauce, cheese, and toppings, you...