Q2. What had made MMBC successful?
* Well-recognized brand, among the ranks of Chevrolet and John Deere * Perception of quality
* Brand loyalty
* Subjective attributes such as smoothness
What distinguishes it from competitors?
* Distinctive bitter flavor and higher alcohol content
* Image as a beer for tough working men (81% of males drink it vs. 58% standard) * Local authenticity: family-owned brewery
* No other local competitor has a beer with the same qualities as MMBC. Foreign imports suffered from lack of control over freshness, currency fluctuations, and shipping costs.
Q3. What factors enabled MMBC to create such a strong brand? * Image of toughness: strong, a “working man’s beer” * High percentage of customers (53%) solely loyal to it vs. 36% for Bud Light
Q4. What has caused MMBC’s decline in spite of its strong brand? * Retailers eliminating products with unfavorable margins or sales * Declining overall market due to competition from wine and increased health awareness * Glut of product
* Core group of drinkers getting older, with difficulty capturing 21-27 segment which spent twice as much and were a growing segment *
Q5. Should MMBC introduce a light beer? Should is launch MMBC Mountain Man Light? Yes to introduce a light beer
No to tagging on to the brand due to dilution and alienating core customers