Production of ammonia gas for industries.
To do this lab we weighed Copper. Than we weighed the iron nail. Next, we put the nail into the hot copper and sit for 10 minutes. Finally we weighed the filter paper and recorded the mass in our data table.
Our result for this lab was that both total product and the mass of the total reactants was 2.71g we had a 2.5 difference. This shows that we did not validate the stoichiometry of mass. That we lose moles or it’s mass. The physical changes in this lab were that the blue copper rocks changed to blue liquid. The Error we faced in this lab was that copper residue did not end up in the filter paper.
· To determine the mole –mole relationship between copper and iron in a chemical reaction
· To predict the amount of copper used based on the amount of iron consumed
Labeled Diagram of Lab Set-up
Copper II Sulfate
50 Ml 250 Ml Beaker
50 or 100 Ml G.C
Iron ring +ring stand
IV. Methods Day 1:
1. Weigh out 3.35 g of copper (II) sulfate into a 50 mL beaker.
2. Measure out 15.0 mL of distilled water and add it to the copper (II) sulfate in the beaker.
3. Weigh an iron nail and record this mass in your data table. Set aside until step 6.
4. Place the beaker with solution on the hot plate and heat, but do NOT boil
the solution. Use a stirring rod to help dissolve the crystals.
5. Stop heating when all the crystals are dissolved. Transfer the solution into a test tube.
6. Carefully add the nail into the hot copper (II) sulfate solution. Let the solution sit for 10 minutes to allow it to react. Record any qualitative observations.
7. Weigh a piece of filter paper and record the mass in your data table.
8. Filter the solution into a 250 mL beaker.
9. Wash the solid by adding 10 mL distilled water to the test tube and stirring vigorously. Pour the liquid through the filter paper. Repeat the washing/filtering two more times.
10. After the third washing, rinse any remaining solid out of the test tube with distilled water from your wash bottle.
11. Discard all filtered liquid and rinse the 250 mL beaker. Place the filter paper with solid residue in a paper towel cone and give to your teacher to be dried over night.
12. Clean and dry the iron nail and weigh it. Record this mass in the data table.
13. Weigh the filter paper with solid residue and record in your data table.