Assignments 3. Prokaryotic vs. eukaryotic, cell cycle, cell division. Name: ____________________________________________________________________
1. Complete the following table with the differences between prokaryotic and eukaryotic cells.
In the nucleoid
In the nucleus
Golgi complex, lysosomes, endoplasmic reticulum, mitochondria, and chloroplasts.
Cell Wall composition
Chemically complex, the typical bacteria Wall includes peptidoglycan Chemically simple, contains cellulose and chitin
0.2 – 2.0 µm in diameter
10 – 100 µm in diameter
Single circular chromosome with lack of histones in most cases Multiple linear chromosomes with histones
No nuclear membrane so DNA is “floating”
In the nuclear membrane
First its a promoter, then the RNA coding sequence and finally the terminator
Mitosis or meiosis
Acquisition of new genetic material
2. Complete the next sentences with the correct words.
a. During _____________________________ DNA is synthetized using as template a preexisting DNA molecule. This happens in the__________________. b. During ______________________, RNA is synthesized from DNA in the ____________________, but the process by which it mRNA and proteins are synthesized from coding genes is known as _____________ ______________. c. During ____________________ proteins are synthesized from ___RNA, with the aid of ____ RNA and ____ RNA. This happens in the__________________.
3. Complete the following table with the main molecular events (as replication, transcription, translation, or DNA synthesis) and cellular events (as growth, division, DNA repair, etc.) of each cell cycle phase. Phase
There isn’t any
4. Mention the main features of the cyclins, the cdk’s (cyclin-dependent kinases) and explain how its association (cyclin-cdk) controls the cell cycle progression. They are a family of proteins that control the progression of cells trough the cell cycle by activating cyclin–dependent kinase enzymes. CDK´s have a modified ATP-binding site that can be regulated by cyclin binding. They are a main potential target for anti cancer medication.
CDK´s is an enzyme that charge negatives phosphate groups to other molecules in a process called phosphorylation. This is important because this process its like an order to the cell that it is ready for the next stage of the cell cycle.
5. Compare the main features of cell division.
Approximately in 63 minutes
24 days in a male homo sapiens
Number of divisions
Ploidy of the “daughter” cells
Number of “daughter” cells
Genetic Material of the “daughter” cells
6. Compare the main features of the mitotic and meiotic prophases.
Education, M. H. (Dirección). (2009). BInary Fisiion [Película].
Google. (23 de Julio de 2010). Principal differences of Prokaryotic and Eukaryotic cells. Kansas, Estados Unidos. Shmoop. (7 de Febrero de 2010). Shmoop. Obtenido de...
Please join StudyMode to read the full document