MIS –HOMEWORK SPRING: 2013
STUDENT NAME: jean claude alwan Grade:
Fill in the blanks:
1) ________ is data that has been shaped into a form that is meaningful to human beings.
2) ________ is output returned to appropriate members of the organization to help them evaluate or correct the input stage.
3) Computer ________ consists of the detailed, preprogrammed instructions that control and coordinate the computer hardware components in an information system.
4) ________ is a global network that uses universal standards to connect millions of different networks around the world.
Answer: the internet
5) The ________ is a service provided by the Internet that uses universally accepted standards for storing, retrieving, formatting, and displaying information in a page format.
Answer: world wide web
6) ________ are private corporate networks extended to authorized users outside the organization.
7) The key elements of an organization are its people, structure, business processes, politics, and ________.
8) In a(n) ________ perspective, the performance of a system is optimized when both the technology and the organization mutually adjust to one another until a satisfactory fit is obtained.
9) ________ makes long-range strategic decisions about the firm's products and services.
Answer: Senior management
10) Investments in organization and management, such as investments in new business models and training, are also known as ________.
Answer: organizational and management capital
11) Define operational excellence. How can information systems help achieve it?
Answer: Operational excellence is the achievement of higher levels of productivity, efficiency, profitability. Information systems can help achieve operational excellence by improving communications to supplier and optimizing the supply chain. Information systems could help managers communicate with workers more efficiently, enable technological innovation in products, minimize warehouse overhead.
12) You work for an auto manufacturer and distributor. How could you use information systems to achieve greater customer intimacy?
Answer: You could create a Web site that allows customers to customize cars, communicate with support personnel and other car owners. You could create an automated e-mail service reminding car owners to take their car in for periodic checkups. so you can provide cars that reflect local customer needs and desires.
13) What is the difference between information technology and information systems? Describe some of the functions of information systems.
Answer: Information technology consists of all the hardware and software that a firm needs to use to achieve its business objectives. Information systems are more complex. An information system can be defined technically as a set of interrelated components that collect process, store, and distribute information to support decision making and control in an organization.
An information system:
supports decision making, coordination, and control
helps employees analyze problems
helps employees visualize complex subjects
helps create new products
14) You are a marketing manager for a national movie theater chain. Give an example of data that your department could use for creating meaningful information. What type of information could that data produce?
Answer: Movie ticket sales from individual theaters would be an example of raw data. Meaningful information from this would be: average number of tickets sold to seniors on certain days of the week.
15) Define business process. What might be a business process used at a hospital?
Answer: A business...
Please join StudyMode to read the full document