* 2 cups sushi rice
* 2 cups water
* 4 tablespoons rice vinegar
* 3 tablespoons sugar
* 2 teaspoons salt
* 2 tablespoons mirin
* kelp, leaf (optional)
1. Ignore the directions on the bag that the rice came from and rinse the rice only 3-5 times. The water does NOT have to run clear. 2. Place rice to drain in a strainer.
3. Drain for one hour the winter, 30 min in the summer. (Sounds strange, but is true). 4. While rice is draining, combine vinegar, sugar, salt and mirin together in a bowl and mix well. 5. If using a kelp leaf, it should be about 2 in long
6. Wipe it lightly, cut small slits to make it look like a comb and add it to a pot along with the water. 7. Add rice to the pot.
8. Bring quickly to a boil and then reduce to a simmer.
9. Cover the pot and DON'T touch it until the end, NO PEEKING. 10. Cook for 15 minutes before removing the pot from the heat but keep the lid CLOSED. 11. Let rice rest for 10 min and then remove the cover.
12. Place in a glass dish to cool and lightly fan the rice while adding the vinegar mixture. 13. Mix rice gently, careful not to break it.
14. Sushi rice is best used at body temperature.
Mock Mashed Potatoes/Cauliflower
* 2 cups cauliflower, finely chopped fresh or frozen works great * 1 tablespoon real sour cream, more to your taste
* 1 tablespoon butter ( not margarine)
* pepper or any other of your favorite seasoning, to taste
1. Steam or microwave cauliflower until Very soft.
2. Put cauliflower in blender or food processor with butter and sour cream. 3. Process or blend until creamy like mashed potatoes.
4. Add seasonings to taste and serve immediately.
5. Grated cheese or minced chives make a nice topping.
STEAMED FISH WITH SNOW PEAS AND CARROTS
* 750g snapper or other firm-fleshed white fish fillets, in 4 pieces * 2 tablespoons soy sauce
* 2 tablespoons white wine or lemon juice
* 1 thin slice peeled fresh ginger, cut into thin matchsticks * 2 medium carrots, peeled and cut into thin matchsticks
* 60g snow peas, cut in half lengthways
* ½ medium yellow capsicum, seeded and cut into thin matchsticks Preparation method
Prep: 15 mins | Cook: 12 mins | Extra time: 27 mins
1) Place fish in a baking dish that fits inside a large steamer basket or on a rack that will fit into a large frying pan. Combine the soy sauce and white wine or lemon juice and pour over the fish. Top with ginger and carrot.
2) Fill pan with water to a depth of 2.5 cm. Bring to a simmer. Place steamer basket or wire rack in pan. Place baking dish in the basket or on the rack. Cover pan or basket. Steam fish for 5 to 6 minutes. Add snow peas and capsicum to baking dish. Cover. Steam until fish flakes when touched with the tip of a knife and vegetables are crisp-tender, about 5 minutes.
CHINESE STEAMED CAKE
* 6 eggs
* 1¼ cups caster sugar
* 2 ½ tablespoons (38ml) water
* 1 ½ cups self raising flour
* ½ teaspoon baking powder
* 1½ teaspoons almond essence
* ¼ cup icing sugar for dusting
Prep: 15 mins | Cook: 20 mins
Arrange a large bamboo steamer or a large vegetable steamer over simmering water. Make sure it is large enough to hold the baking pan. Line a 22cm cake tin with waxed paper. 2.
Separate the eggs. Place the yolks in a large bowl along with the sugar and water. Beat with an electric mixer on medium speed until the mixture has increased about three times in volume. Whisk together the flour and the baking powder; sift this over the egg mixture, and fold in gently. Blend in the almond essence. 3.
Whip the egg whites in a clean bowl to stiff, not dry, peaks. Fold into yolk base. Pour the batter into...