Most people think Milton Hershey was just the maker of Hershey chocolate, but he has done much more.
I. Milton Hershey opened his first candy business when he was only 18. A. He left school at the age of 14.
1. He became an apprentice to a candy maker and decided to set out on his own as a candy maker. B. He opened candy businesses in Philadelphia, New York, Denver, Chicago, and New Orleans. 1. He went bankrupt in both Philadelphia and New York.
2. In Denver he learned to make caramels.
C. He became famous by the "Crystal A" caramel.
1. He opened a caramel shop in Lancaster
2. In 1900, he sold his caramel company and the "Crystal A" trademark. II. In 1893, Milton Hershey bought his first chocolate-making equipment. A. He returned to his hometown to start building the chocolate factory. 1. He needed a place with cows for fresh milk, hard and reliable working people, And a source of water. 2. Derry Township is where he settled which is now known as Hershey PA. 3. Construction began in 1903 and ended in 1905.
B. His goal was to make chocolate affordable to everyone, not just the rich. C. The factory has grown to occupy 2.2 million square feet today. III. Mr. Hershey left almost his entire fund to the Milton Hershey school A. Founded by the Hersheys in 1909 as a home and school for orphanage boys. 1. Now attended by both boys and girls from grades pre-kindergarten to 12th. B. Underclassmen live in a family-like enviorment with a married couple and children their age. 1. There are over 140 student homes available to students to live. 2. Meals, Clothing, Medical Care, Dental Care, and school supplies are provided free of charge to enrolled students. C. The school’s campus extends over 10,000 acres.
1. The current enrollment is about 1,800 students.
Milton Hershey School- The Legacy
People of Pennsylvania- Milton Snavely Hershey...