1. What specifically did the following regions or peoples diffuse through trade? China:
Eurasia and North Africa:
2. The Silk Roads were land-based trade routes linking pastoral and agricultural peoples as well as large civilizations. How were goods transported along the Silk Roads to sustain the networks of exchange among its diverse people?
3. What region became the center of the Indian Ocean commercial network?
4. In what ways did China contribute to the growth of trade in the Indian Ocean between 500 and 1500 C.E.?
5. What other changes occurred during the flourishing of Indian Ocean commerce after the rise of Islam in the 7th century? Arab Empire:
Mesopotamia/East Africa :
6. What was the importance of Srivijaya?
7. What were the economic and cultural roles of the Swahili civilization in the world of Indian Ocean trade?
8. Trans-African trade was rooted in environmental variation. For instance, The great Sahara held…
The savanna grasslands immediately south of the Sahara produced… And the forest areas farther south had…
9. What changes did trans-Saharan trade bring to West Africa? Long-distance trade across the Sahara provided…
Muslims traded (what?) along the Sahara…
Sudanic states developed…
10. Describe some factors that inhibited the development of long-distance exchange networks in the Americas.
1. Discuss the ways in which the Tang and Song Dynasties were regarded as the “Golden Age of Chinese Achievement.” Culturally:
2. In what ways did women’s lives change during the Tang (618-907) and Song (960-1279) dynasties?
3. Who were the Xiongnu, the Uighurs, the Khitan, and the Jurchen in relation to the Chinese ? Xiongnu:
Khitan and Jurchen:
4. In what political, economic, and social ways did Korea, Vietnam, and Japan experience and respond to Chinese influence?
Explain/define the following:
17th Article Constitution
Heian period of Japanese history
The Tale of Genji
Pure Land Buddhism
An Lushan rebellion
1. In what respects did Byzantium continue the patterns of the classical Roman Empire? In what ways did it diverge from those patterns? Continued Patterns (p. 427 and p. 432)| Divergences (p. 428-429)| ▪▪| ▪▪|
2. How did Eastern Orthodox Christianity differ from Roman Catholicism?
3. In what political, economic, and cultural ways was the Byzantine Empire linked to a wider world? Political:
4. Who were Cyril and Methodius and what did they do?
5. Why did Prince Vladimir reject Islam and adopt Eastern Orthodox Christianity?
6. What did Kievan Rus extensively borrow from Byzantium?
7. Why did Russian leaders proclaim the doctrine of a “third Rome”?
8. What happened to trade in Western Europe after the collapse of the Roman Empire in 476 C.E.?
9. How did the Roman Catholic Church deal with the considerable range of earlier cultural practices, with regard to the conversion of Western Europe to Christianity?
10. In what ways did European civilization change after 1000, during the High Middle Ages?
11. In what ways were women offered new opportunities between the 11th and 13th centuries?
12. What was a reason offered for the change in women’s opportunities by the 15th century?
13. In the long term, the crusading movement by Western Europeans did not bring the Eastern Orthodox and Roman Catholic Christian churches closer together, but the crusading notion was used by the Europeans later to do what?
14. By 1500, Europe had caught up with and, in some areas, surpassed China and the Islamic world. What were...