1) Developing a new product, fulfilling an order, and hiring a new employee are examples of business processes. Answer: True False
2) A fully digital firm produces only digital goods or services. Answer: True False
3) A business model describes how a company produces, delivers, and sells a product or service to create wealth. Answer: True False
4) Information technology (IT) consists of all the hardware that a firm needs to use in order to achieve its business objectives, whereas information systems consist of all the software and business processes needed. Answer: True False
5) Computers are only part of an information system.
Answer: True False
6) The dimensions of information systems are management, organizations, and information technology. Answer: True False
7) In order to understand how a specific business firm uses information systems, you need to know something about the hierarchy and culture of the company. Answer: True False
8) Business processes are logically related tasks for accomplishing tasks that have been formally encoded by an organization. Answer: True False
9) A substantial part of management responsibility is creative work driven by new knowledge and information. Answer: True False
10) Intranets allow firms to work easily with third-party suppliers and vendors. Answer: True False
11) An IT infrastructure provides the platform on which the firm can build its information systems. Answer: True False
12) The six important business objectives of information technology are new products, services, and business models; customer and supplier intimacy; survival; competitive advantage; operational excellence; and A) improved flexibility.
B) improved decision making.
C) improved business practices.
D) improved efficiency.
13) Which of the following choices may lead to competitive advantage: (1) new products, services, and business models; (2) charging less for superior products; (3) responding to customers in real time? A) 1 only
B) 1 and 2
C) 2 and 3
D) 1, 2, and 3
14) The move of retail banking to use ATMs after Citibank unveiled its first ATMs illustrates the use of information systems to achieve which business objective? A) improved efficiency
B) customer and supplier intimacy
D) competitive advantage
15) The three activities in an information system that produce the information organizations use to control operations are A) information retrieval, research, and analysis.
B) input, output, and feedback.
C) input, processing, and output.
D) data analysis, processing, and feedback.
A) is feedback that has been processed to create meaningful information. B) is information that is returned to appropriate members of the organization to help them evaluate the input stage. C) transfers data to the people who will use it or to the activities for which it will be used. D) transfers processed information to the people who will use it or to the activities for which it will be used. Answer: D
17) Converting raw data into a more meaningful form is called A) capturing.
18) The fundamental set of assumptions, values, and ways of doing things that has been accepted by most of a company's members is called its A) culture.B) environment.
19) The hardware and software used to transfer data in an organization is called A) data management technology.
B) networking and data management technology.
C) data and telecommunications technology.
D) networking and telecommunications technology.
20) Networking and...