FACULTY OF BUSINESS MANAGEMENT
SUBJECT: Principles of Management
CODE: MGT 215
SEMESTER: Mei 2011 – Oktober 2011
LECTURER:Pn. Nur Hazelen Binti Mat Rusok
This Course discusses the concepts, theories, and techniques of modern management, which are important in management discipline.
The course in designed to enable students to:
1. Explain the historical development of management discipline and its school of thoughts. 2. Discuss concepts, theories and elements of modern management. 3. Explain the principles, functions and managerial processes of an organization 4. Develop conceptual and analytical skills in management decision making. 5. Imbue ethical behavior in management practices.
At the end of the course, students should be able to:
1. Compare the historical development of management concepts to the current modern concepts. 2. Apply management related concepts and theories to various scenarios. 3. Explain the principles, functions and managerial processes of an organization 4. Analyze different management decision making
5. Imbue ethical behavior in management practices.
1. Daft, R.L. & Marcic D. (2007), Management: The new Workplace, International Edition, Thomson South-Western Additional References
2. Daft, R.L. (2006), The New Era of Management, International Edition, Thomson South-Western 3. Dessler, G. (2004), Management: Principles and Practices for Tomorrow’s Leader, International Edition, Pearson Educational International 4. Hitt, M.A., Black, J.S. & Porter, L.W. (2005), Management, International Edition, Pearson Prentice Hall 5. Williams, C. (2005), Management, International Edition, Thomson South-Western
1. Attendance will be strictly monitored
2. Punctuality is a must
3. Chapter Quiz and test are only for those who attend classes
|WEEK |TOPICS |NOTE | |1 |1. The history and school of thought in management | | |2 |2. Managing in a dynamic environment | | | |The External Environment | | | |The Organization-Environment Relationship | | | |The Internal Environment: Corporate Culture | | | |Environment and Culture | | | |Shaping Corporate Culture for Innovative Response | | |3 |3. Managing diversity and global environment | | | |A Borderless World | | | |Getting Started Internationally | | | |The International Business Environment | | | |The Economics Environment | | | |The Legal-Politicians Environment |...